Chapter 16- Jackie the Flyer

"It's good to have money and the things that money can buy. But it's good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven't lost the things money can't buy."

- George Lorimer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samantha

"I have something for you."

Hades' voice distracts me from my thoughts, startling me. It causes me to push the breaks even though we're safely parked inside my driveway. Bits and pieces of the previous night quickly come to haunt me, teasing my memory.

Push the breaks! Push the breaks!

Beside me, Hades tenses up in alarm. He reaches to take hold of my arms, running his hands up and down their length in a soothing pattern.

"Hey, are you alright?" he asks gently. I nod absentmindedly, lifting my foot off the breaks.

"I'm fine," I answer tersely, looking out the window and scrambling to pick up the small fragments of last night's memories. A hand underneath my chin lightly pulls me to face Hades' questioning eyes.

"Samantha, my love, are you sure you are alright?"

I look up at him, caught again by surprise at his term of endearment for me. It's a level up from "Fuck off Samantha" and a lot more well received from my part.

"Yeah," I answer mildly, masking my eyes over and raising my brows.

"Did you say you had something for me?" I ask, trying to turn the conversation away from my slip-up.

Hades eyes me dubiously before he reaches for something inside his cloak. When he pulls his hand back out he's holding a neatly wrapped box. I look up from his hands with a small smile.

"You got me a present?" I ask apprehensively, hoping it isn't what I think it is.

He hands me the box, a vulnerable look passing his handsome features. I look up at him with inquiring eyes as I open the gift, feeling my heart beat faster as the box comes into view. Please don't be a ring, please don't be a ring...

I gingerly undo the last fold of wrapping paper and lift the box out of the scraps of tissue. Hades eyes urge me to open it. I hold my breath as my fingers remove the cover of the box, revealing a dark, velvet interior.

Laying delicately on the smooth surface is a silver necklace with an owl and snake pendant hanging from its middle. The owl is flat and sleek with two big, diamonds for eyes. An onyx snake is twisted around it, gleaming under the setting sun as its stone eyes catch the light.

Its shape is tube like and three dimensional- the gems encrusted as its oculars give it an element of life. The entire pendant can't be much bigger than the top of my thumb, but the style and shape are so unique it catches your attention right away. I've never seen anything like it.

"It's so pretty!" I gasp, relief filling me at the revelation it's not a ring. Hades smiles and reaches to take the necklace out of the velvet box. I gather my hair when he motions for me to turn around.

"I'm glad you like it," he says, unclasping the thin chain and lifting it in front of me, enclosing it over my neck.

His fingers brush my skin as he fastens it, creating goosebumps wherever his knuckles touch me. When he pulls back, I draw the rear-view mirror in my direction to admire the necklace. The pendant rests on the crevice between my collar bones, resembling a choker more than anything else. It's not usually my style, but somehow it works.