Chapter 11-

Hades

"This is Ely-si-um?" 

I glance at the mortal child.

"Yes."

We stand at the entrance of the Fields of Paradise, considering the beauty of its lush green hills and slopes. Trees and flowers planted throughout their expanse sway in the fresh breeze, inviting us to step forth and partake in its peaceful embrace. The mere sight of its seemly ingress emits a serene sensation, prompting any onlooker to attempt breaching its boundaries-- I created it in irresistible fashion, a lovely refuge for the exhausted and righteous. 

I turn to my young companion.

"Daniel, this is where you will now reside. I am afraid I can not--"

A light tugging on my hand interrupts me, and I flit my eyes about to discover him furiously pulling my arm, attempting to drag me in his direction. He has already reached the other flanking of Elysium's boundary, and he is giggling hysterically upon my resistance. 

 My eyes widen in consternation when he is successful in bringing me inside. 

"Daniel! I've matters to attend to!" 

My voice slips past my lips sounding keen pitched, a product of my surprise as his tugging finds me unsuspecting. The boy does not answer, rather, he laughs, noises of glee erupting from his mouth as all signs of illness begin to fade into oblivion. The moment he steps into the fields of paradise, his pallor tans into a healthy glow, his bony shoulders gradually round themselves out into the form of a robust child-- dark eyes gaining a gleam of youthful vivacity. 

As he loosens his firm grip on my wrist, a diminutive smile nudges the slight corners of my lips-- an involuntary response to regarding the leaps of untainted joy the child engages in, a reception to paradise which is not entirely uncommon, especially from a babe. 

He bounds atop the soft blades of grass, raising his thin arms in the air, gyrating his little body in springing circles as his bubbles of laughter saturate the atmosphere with further bliss. His sounds collect the attention of other souls around him, prompting from them smiles of amusement. The eyes of those surrounding him crease in admiring satisfaction, impregnating the meadows with silent elation, for the addition of a child is always welcome-- more so that of a young soul whom endured tremendous suffering in the overworld. 

 Though my labors seldom reap reward, it is moments such as these which make them fulfilling. To witness the entrance of a troubled soul into the Elysian Fields is sufficient recompense, at times it eases the heavy burden of my existence-- one which has been marred by ceaseless toil and the acrid savor of anguish. 

The child's euphoria is almost adequate in allowing me to forget it, but the moment swiftly dissipates into the caressing winds of paradise. I turn to leave, but a voice behind me halts me halfway as a tiny figure begins to run towards me, calling upon me to wait. Seconds later, small fingers are wrapping themselves around my long ones-- summoning my gaze to their owner. 

Lively, brown eyes regard me in wonder. 

"Where are you going, tall man?" 

"I've responsibilities to fulfill." 

I speak to him kindly, resisting the urge to dishevel his hair-- for it seems even divinities are not exempt from responding to the allure of his innocuous charm. He purses his lips in concentration. 

"I think a girl in the hospital had that. What does it mean?" 

I tighten my smile. 

"Do not trouble yourself with its meaning."