Chapter 22- A Haunting Past

Start from the beginning

"Hera, you can not possibly believe Persephone, of all goddesses, will want to marry Hades. Look at him! He is the epitome of death and lifelessness! Darkness follows his every move, there is no way the goddess of life will want anything to do with him!"

He looks at Hera incredulously and she returns his gaze with an apathetic stare. She motions for an attendant and asks for wine before turning to her husband.

"Of course I believe it, Zeus. I'm the matron for marriage, why would Hades not be suited for a minor goddess? Persephone should be flattered one of the big three Olympians has taken an interest in her," she says blandly, eyeing the attendant approaching her with a tray. She looks at the glass of wine as if it is the last drop of water in a hot desert.

Zeus frowns.

"Hades is not an Olympian," he says tersely, sitting up straighter on his throne. Hera rolls her eyes, reaching for the glass of wine offered to her. She greedily takes a drink.

"Sure he is," she responds, her voice raspy with the slight burn of wine. I frown, more than irritated with the turn of conversation.

"If you are not too busy being self-absorbed, Zeus," I say sarcastically, "I would like to hear your answer."

Zeus snaps his head in my direction, turning away from an irritated Hera. He eyes me with disinterest.

"We both know you do not hold my opinion in high regard, do as you wish. I doubt Demeter will let you court Persephone anyway, she watches her like a hawk. Believe me, I know. I have tried approaching her daughter and have failed in my attempts," he says slyly, motioning for a servant.

He earns a heated glare from Hera and an annoyed glance from me. Zeus has always had a thing for anything with a heartbeat and a pulse, a beautiful goddess such as Persephone will certainly be no exception. She managed to capture my attention, and I live miles beneath her. I have broken my rule of leaving the safety of my realm to ask for her hand in marriage, surely a god who dedicates himself to being unfaithful has already set his sights on the young maiden.

"Wine," he tells the attendant, motioning with his hand and showcasing his rings before turning to me.

"Go on, Hades. You are dismissed," he says, shooing me away with his hand. I feel irritation bubble inside me, I am not an animal to be sent away as one.

"I am not a dog, Zeus. I am first and foremost your eldest brother," I say with an edge in my voice.

Zeus raises his brows, glancing at me in mild annoyance. He takes the glass of wine handed to him and takes a sip before sighing exasperatedly.

"Oh, will you ever forgive me!? You want me to bow down, my king?" he mocks with a scoff, shaking his head in vexation and taking another swig of his drink. I frown, feeling the coolness of my power surround me in concentration with my peevishness.

Hera looks up from her wine-filled glass, sensing power foreign to her own and her husband's. She eyes me warily before turning to Zeus and glancing at him with hidden contempt- a ticking bomb ready to explode.

"Go on, brother. You have our blessing," she says to me kindly, attempting to smooth over the tension her husband erected. It is not enough to quench my indignation, but her pleading eyes beg me to control it. I press my lips into a thin line, displeased that even with my high status as one of the three original gods, I still do not receive the respect that is given to my brothers.

I glance at Hera with disappointment and slight anger before I turn to leave. Even when I am in the right, she does not fail to intervene in fixing the mistakes her husband leaves behind. Of course, what else had I expected? Zeus gets away with anything, regardless of the consequences. He is scarcely held accountable for his actions, if ever.