Fifteen

"WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SON?!"

Sierra could hear Melissa's cries from the second floor all the way down in the morgue, where she stood patiently with everyone else. Just like Sierra and Noshiko, Melissa thought the plan carried too much risk. After all, her son was basically faking his death. On top of that, Melissa had been told she needed to really sell the idea of Scott dying, meaning as a mother, it felt scarily realistic.

Sierra felt her stomach twist as she looked down at the lifeless body of her best friend. If it hadn't been for the very faint beat of his heart in her ears, she would've been sold on the idea of him being gone.

"I still hate this plan

"I still hate this plan." Melissa agreed with Sierra when she joined them in the morgue, "I mean, this is pretty, significantly terrifying. He looks dead."

"He's not," Sierra promised, resting a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Here, listen." Sierra guided Melissa's hand over to Scott's heart. When she didn't hear it, tears gathered in the mother's eyes and a shaky breath escaped her.

"Wait for it," Noshiko advised and Melissa let out a giant sigh of relief, feeling the slight beat of his heart.

"Is that enough to keep a werewolf alive?" she asked in amazement, causing Noshiko to answer with a nod.

"Enough for an alpha."

"Okay," Melissa calmed herself down enough to look at the teenagers. "How much time do we have?"

"About forty-five minutes now," Noshiko replied.

"And what happens after that?"

Kira spoke up from where she stood net to Liam, "I bring him back the same way."

Melissa understood, but that wasn't what she meant. She glanced between Stiles and Sierra, "What happens if he stays like this longer than forty-five minutes?"

The pair looked at one another, unsure if they should tell Melissa the truth. Noshiko noticed the exchange and asked them all, "No one told her?"

"What?" Melissa immediately demanded, not enjoying the sudden tension in the room. Her voice hardened as she once again questioned, "What happened after forty-five minutes?"

There was a brief pause, Noshiko not wanting to burden Melissa. However, as a mother herself, the kitsune revealed the truth.

"He dies."

*^*^*^*

SCOTT MCCALL DEAD. PAYMENT REQUESTED.

Argent stared at the screen, waiting for a response to the message he typed previously. Beside him, stood Sierra and Stiles, who squinted his eyes in confusion at the wording. "That's your assassin speak?" he inquired.

Exchanging glances with Sierra, Chris looked a little bemused. "I said he's dead," he stated, furrowing his eyebrows. "What more do you want?"

 "What more do you want?"