Chapter 60: Not-So-Happy Holidays

Start from the beginning

Amongst the covens many individual whispering conversations began, but the smirks on the Romanian's pale lips caught my attention. Especially with the glances that Vladimir was firing at Bella and I.

"I do so hope Alistair was right about this," Stefan murmured to Vladimir. "No matter the outcome, word will spread. It's time our world saw the Volturi for what they've become. They'll never fall if everyone believes this nonsense about them protecting our way of life."

"At least when we ruled, we were honest about what we were," Vladimir replied.

Stefan nodded. "We never put on white hats and called ourselves saints."

"I'm thinking the time has come to fight," Vladimir said just as I noticed Bella was listening to them too. "How can you imagine we'll ever find a better force to stand with? Another chance this good?"

"Nothing is impossible. Maybe someday—"

"We've been waiting for fifteen hundred years, Stefan. And they've only gotten stronger with the years." Vladimir paused and looked at us again. He showed no surprise when he saw that we were watching him, too, even Jake had been pulled into listening. "If the Volturi win this conflict, they will leave with more power than they came with. With every conquest they add to their strengths. Think of what the newborns alone could give them" - he jerked his chin toward me and Bella- "and they are barely discovering their gifts. And the earth-mover." Vladimir nodded toward Benjamin, who stiffened. Almost everyone was eavesdropping on the Romanians now, like me. "With their witch twins they have no need of the illusionist or the fire touch." His eyes moved to Zafrina, then Kate.

Stefan looked at Edward. "Nor is the mind reader exactly necessary. But I see your point. Indeed, they will gain much if they win."

"More than we can afford to have them gain, wouldn't you agree?"

Stefan sighed. "I think I must agree. And that means..."

"That we must stand against them while there is still hope."

"If we can just cripple them, even, expose them..."

"Then, someday, others will finish the job."

"And our long vendetta will be repaid. At last."

They locked eyes for a moment and then murmured in unison. "It seems the only way."

"So we fight," Stefan said.

They weren't entirely sure in their decision, wanting to stay alive was affecting their need for revenge, though the excited smile they shared showed their determination.

"We fight," Vladimir agreed.

It seemed like a battle between us and the Volturi was impossible to avoid, the possibilities just increased the more we learnt about them. But, even though it was the Romanians, two more vampires on our side fighting could only help us that little bit more.

"We will fight, too," Tia said, her usually grave voice darker than ever. "We believe the Volturi will overstep their authority. We have no wish to belong to them." Her eyes lingered on her mate, scared for him.

Benjamin grinned and sent an unsure look toward the Romanians. "Apparently, I'm a hot commodity. It appears I have to win the right to be free."

"This won't be the first time I've fought to keep myself from a king's rule," Garrett said in a teasing tone. He walked over and clapped Benjamin on the back. "Here's to freedom from oppression."

"We stand with Carlisle," Tanya said. "And we fight with him."

The Romanians' pronouncement seemed to have made the others feel the need to declare themselves as well.