Previously on Benefits

Dawn Rivers has gone her entire life going unnoticed until she ends up sitting next to Jake Dennings in her English class. The manwhore of the school. Instantly they dislike one another, but the sexual attraction begins to eat away. Jake proposes a Benefits deal: not friends, nor enemies-- just benefits. Once they start this agreement, they begin to grow closer emotionally and open up about each other's pasts.

This includes Dawn's abuse from her father, which has caused her to struggle with her anxiety on a daily, and Jake's eyes that are always covered by sunglasses day and night. As Jake begins to trust Dawn, he reveals to her that he is part of an illegal fight group, The Underground.

Once Dawn and Jake grow closer, Jake begins to pull away from Dawn because he fears that he has grown feelings towards Dawn. After much back and forth with Jake lying to Dawn about his true feelings and her doing the same, they finally become a couple... but with a catch. No one must know about their relationship, or the leader of the Underground will rape Dawn. The woman associated with the Underground has their bodies sold to him by contract. Not long after Dawn and Jake have sex the first time, JC, Ledger's younger brother, warns the couple that Ledger is on to them.

Jake goes to the Underground to only be held hostage to lure Dawn in. Meanwhile, Dawn and her mother go through another traumatic experience with their abusive husband/father.

Once Dawn goes to the Underground from Ledger's orders, she reveals the truth to Ledger to save Jake from further torture. Before any more harm can come her way, Alice calls the police and reports the whereabouts of the Underground and the rape that Ledger inflicted upon her.

To heal Jake's wounds, Dawn takes Jake to her friend Reese's house to recollect themselves. They conclude that his injuries are too severe, so they go to the hospital that Jake suggests. They meet an old friend from Jake's past. Jose Martinez. After healing Jake's wounds, Jake tells Martinez of his plan of dueling against Ledger for his freedom.

Jake and Dawn separate for a day so Jake can set up the duel with JC. While at the meeting, Ledger ambushes them, but Martinez and his fight club come to the rescue. More people from Ledger's side go onto Jake's team. The match is set for two months.

Meanwhile, Dawn places a police report against her father. She stays at her best friend's house, Lauren, but the next day she finds out something catastrophic. Lauren has been keeping letters from Jake when they were in middle school. Jake has been in love with Dawn all along. Lauren and Dawn's friendship ends.

Jake and Dawn reunite, but it's short-lived when Serena, Jake's ex, and Alice come with bad news. They've received death threats from where they assume the Underground sent it to them.

To keep them safe, Jake makes the three girls train, just in case things go south with the Underground.

Serena and Dawn butt heads, and in the end, it causes a rift between Dawn and Jake. They break up momentarily, but after receiving the truth from Serena that she was the one who planted those letters, Jake and Dawn makeup once more.

A few weeks of love and minor problems, the match proceeds. Jake and Ledger fight, but it ends with Ledger having a bullet through his head.

Everything seems to be going all well until JC contacts Jake and tells him he has Alice and Casper hostage. Jake goes to them without telling Dawn. JC tells Jake to end his relationship with Dawn, or he will kill Alice and Casper. He wants Jake to suffer rather than just death.

It ends with Dawn and Jake "breaking up," but not really, as they have made a plan to meet up every two weeks.

Characters:

Dawn: Protagonist. A shy a sassy girl who is still struggling with her past of abuse from her father as a child. She is very serious about school but still has no clear plan.