Ch. 31: Karma Police

Karma Police- Radiohead

"This is what you get; this is what you get, this is what you get, when you mess with us, for a minute there. I lost myself. I lost myself."

-

Dawn POV

"We should not do this again," I say breathlessly, as Jake nibbles at my shoulder.

"Yeah, we shouldn't," he agrees. He pulls to look into my eyes, and there's still a shadow of lust clouding his vision. It takes a second until we both start laughing, enjoying the weight and sexual frustration radiating the air.

"But seriously," I try to compose myself.

"I know." He grasps my face, stroking my chin gingerly, stealing another kiss on my lips. As he begins to pull away, I meet his mouth once more, savoring it, and soon his tongue steals mine.

"What are we doing?" I moan, trying to pull away, but his lips are intoxicating to the touch.

"I don't know, but what I do know is, I'm sick of pretending I don't love you. I've said this before, but I'll repeat it, I physically cannot stay away from you. Not then or now," his eyes grave, and I can tell he wants to hide, glancing every other word at the dresser where his glasses rest.

"So what does this mean."

"It means nothing," his lips quivering the slightest, and if I weren't so close to him, I would miss it, "Unless you're in love with me again."

"I never stopped." I admit quickly, "I was in love with the honest, daring man that I've been well acquainted with the past few months. I was in love with the man that would stop at nothing to keep me safe-"

He cuts me off by kissing me sloppily, causing smiles to press against both our lips, "Jake, Jake!" I giggle, pulling from him, "how are we going to do this?"

"I—" Jake's phone begins to buzz. "Hold that thought, love." He bends from the bed, answering his cellphone that fell off the bed, "Hello? Shit. Shit. Coming now." He hangs up the phone, eyes wide and his hair sticking every which way, "My speech. I'm late."

"Oh my god, who was that?"

"Cas. He saw us leaving together, so he must suspect something." We both start scrambling for our clothes.

"How long have we been gone."

"About an hour," he says, checking his phone once more.

"You just had to pop out the second condom," I tease; he bites his bottom lip.

"Well, if you weren't so tight—"

"Jake Alexander!" I scold.

We dress in silence, too consumed by our tardiness. I'm trying to pick at my hair, but it's left in a wave of a mess. Feeling helpless, I grab Jake's wrist where my old hair tie from this noon and wrap my hair in a low bun. Jake barely has his top button on when he decides to open the bedroom door. I rush after him, getting sudden anxiety. Not a couple of steps in do I want to bury my head.

Alice. Her arms cross across her waist, and her cheeks are red. It could be the alcohol or but who am I kidding? She has caught us red-handed.

"Really?" She asks.

"Alice-" Jake starts.

"No, Jake, this is nothing you can just weasel your way out of." She steps closer to Jake, raising her fingers on the side of his neck, "bug bite, right?" She presses at his love bruise, and I cringe as the images of my bite flashes through my eyes. His moans will not leave my ears. Neither will his words of love and declaration, and I begin to spiral in my head once more as Jake and Alice begin to argue. She picks at his missing button, and he snarls at her crudeness. Alice is right. Sure she is, but maybe I want to selfish for once in my life. Why baby, you are always selfish when it comes to Jake Dennings. I cannot pretend any longer; I refuse.