Chapter 2

Patty POV

Making it quickly to the car, I had Jake hold the turtle that I was carrying as I quickly changed into some actual clothes. The guys were gentlemen enough to give me privacy as they waited at the front of the car as I slipped my clothes back on at the back of the car.

Rubbing my arms up and down as I finally slipped on my jean jacket, wiggling my toes in my boots to gain some sort of feeling back into them. Wringing and twisting the water out of my hair, I made sure to make my hair less wet with my powers but not dry enough to appear suspicious. Tossing my brunette hair into a bun, I rubbed my flushed cheeks from the cold before I made my way back to the guys who were waiting for me.

I handed Jake his jacket back, giving him my gratitude for letting me borrow it for a couple of minutes. He waved it off as if it was nothing, handing the female turtle back to me before grabbing his jacket.

Soon, we were all shuffling in the car with me at the back with Seth and Embry and Jake at the front. Turning on the engine of the beat-up old, mini-van, Embry reversed back before he drove us out the parking lot of La Push beach.

"Where are you from Patty?" Jake was the first one to break the silence.

After I quickly helped Seth in gently and carefully placing the male turtle over his lap, monitoring him at the corner of my eyes before I responded.

"Oh, just around," I smirked in his direction when Jacob glanced over his shoulder, giving me this wide smile that made him look younger than he looked.

"Oh I see how it is," Jacob chuckled underneath his breath as he glanced forward. "Keeping up with the mysterious look you are going around there."

I chuckled underneath my breath too, smiling at Seth when he managed to make the male turtle come out of his shell. His exciting and childish expression was just too cute to not smile at.

"Well, something tells me that I am going to be the most exciting thing that is going to happen in this place," I shot Seth a playful wink before I started to caress and comfort the female turtle on my lap.

I could practically feel the drowsiness and fatigue it is giving off. The tip of my index finger gently scratched the top of her head, making her neck slightly croon more into my gesture. Seth tried to mimic what I was doing which almost resulted in him losing a finger. Scolding the male turtle for his actions, I reassured Seth that he was not going to bite him again and to just avoid touching him near his mouth.

"You are really good with animals," Jake pointed out to me as Embry took a wide turn.

"Just aquatic animals really," I told him, my fingers drumming to an off beat against my thigh while my other hand held the turtle firmly. "You should really see me with horses though."

I was smirking internally at my own words while I kept a smooth expression on the outside.

"You're like a disney princess," Embry confidently stated.

In an instant, everybody went quiet in the car. Both Jake and Seth looked at Embry as if he was on another planet at the moment. Jake had an expression that clearly stated, Really dude. While Seth went from confusion, to contemplation, and then finally settling towards agreement as he slowly nodded his head, not before glancing in my direction.

Me on the other hand, is a different story. Feeling flattered by the compliment given to me, I couldn't help but feel slightly uncomfortable at the sudden statement. I tilted my head to the side, with an awkward smile that I am pretty sure looked more like a grimace and with cheeks feeling slightly warm.

Embry's face turned pale, his mouth opening and closing with wide eyes. He tried to turn around to face me but once he tried that, we almost crashed into another car. Thankfully, Jake was right next to him and with his quick reflexes, managed to avoid the car and steer the car back to its proper lane. Feeling the seatbelt dig harshly against my chest, knocking the wind a bit from me, I slammed my forearm against Seth's chest to steady him firmly in his seat while he held tightly to the male turtle. From the sudden jolt, both the turtles retreated back into their shells in fright.