Chapter 3

Patty POV

"Wait, you guys know each other?" Jake asked us but we did not pay them no mind.

"Bella Swan," I could not help but laugh at the chances of seeing each other so soon.

"Patty Johnson," Bella repeated in the same tone.

We just stared at each other for a couple of seconds, confusing Jake and Billy before we gave each other wide smiles. In the blink of an eye, Bella left Jake's side and ran straight into my arms. Startled by the sudden action, I casually laughed it off as I returned the hug. Although not as tight as Bella, I still reciprocate the gesture.

"You've decided to stay," Bella breathed out on my shoulder.

Guilt settled in my gut at the hopefulness I heard in her voice, knowing that I would be taking that away from her in a minute.

"Sorry kiddo," I gently patted her back as I pulled away from the hug, keeping my hands on her arms. "I'm still just passing through."

The small light in her eyes slowly diminished as I revealed to her that I was still leaving.

"I'm sorry, how do you guys know each other?" Jake cut in, confusion plaster all over his face.

Bella cleared her throat, recollecting herself as her face turned red in embarrassment. Tugging on the sleeves of her parka coat, she waved her hand in my direction as she stood to the side.

"I offered Patty to stay at my place when I saw her walking in the storm last night," Bella informed them awkwardly as she tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Ain't that a small world," Billy hummed as he looked at me.

I tilted my head to the side a bit as he gave me a look.

"It's like you were destined to be here," Billy continued.

I bristled at the words of 'destined'. Thankfully, Bella noticed my slight change in body language and redirected the attention back to her.

"Wait, how do you guys know each other?"

"Funny story," Jake laughed, the sound slowly diminishing the sudden intenseness that built up. "You're new friend here is a turtle whisper."

I rolled my eyes at Jake's word which only confused Bella even more.

"What?" Bella looked at me for an explanation.

"Jake here thinks he's a comedian," I laughed dryly at him. "He's just saying that because we took a turtle to the vet when I found it unconscious at the beach."

"Okay," Bella was trying to process everything. "This sounds like a story that needs details."

A lightbulb seems to go off in Bella's head.

"Hey Jake, you should show Patty the Volkswagen you are re-building? It's pretty impressive," Bella said in the last sentence towards me.

Jake's dark skin turned darker as Bella gave him the compliment. I narrowed my eyes at the quick change of subject from her, noticing this look in her eyes as if she was planning something.

"Um, yeah, sure," Jacob stammered out as he looked at his dad before looking back at us.

"Wait, Billy, do you need help in making dinner? It's the least I could do after letting me stay to eat with you guys," I asked him kindly and to also see how Bella reacts.

When I noticed the slight panic in her eyes, I knew that she was up to something. Billy just waved his hand before folding them on top of his lap.

"Don't worry about that, you are my guest. Besides, reinforcements are coming by later tonight," he winked at me as if he knew what I was doing. "You kids go have fun."