We didn't mean it

.They were back at the tower. Peter had gotten hit by Loki twice in his ribs, and it hurt a rather lot. He told Tony that, even though he had to say, the rest of the team was looking pretty weird.

"Jeez, Loki with that dumb shit that could make people's "true colour" come to light. Pretty dumb to me. My ribs hurt like hell." Peter sighed.

"You dumbass, just can't do anything right." Tony growled at Peter as Peter removed his mask to reveal a few more bruises and cuts.

"Mister Stark?" He asked cautiously.

"Get the hell out of our tower now." Steve snarled from Peter's right, and Peter looked at them, puzzled.

They'd just fought Loki with the tesseract. It seemed that they were still under the effects of it.

"We hate you. You're really just a burden and annoyance. Get the hell out!" Bruce yelled as he, too, started advancing towards Peter.

Peter trembled in fear as they continued towering over him and spitting insults and curses.

Peter pushed Steve away and ran back into his room before more of the team could come. He quickly packed up a few of his important stuff and clothings into a backpack.

"Are you alright, Peter?" Karen asked as Peter put his mask back on, and Peter ignored her as he opened the window and swung away.

As he was swinging away, he heard, with his enhanced senses, the door of his room at the tower break open.

Out of fear, Peter swung back to his old apartment and opened the window of the living room hastily, jumping inside clumsily.

"Hey, sweetheart. What's going on? Just saw you defeat that wizard. Wouldn't you guys be celebrating?" May asked as she saw Peter jump in through the window. She was reading a book before that, and Peter's sudden appearance caused her to look a little alarmed.

"The tesseract, it could control them, and they're... they're still under the effects... they said that i was just a burden... an-and disaster..." Peter sobbed as he fell into May's arms and May pat him gently on the back.

"It's okay, honey, I'm here." May soothed Peter as she hugged him back tightly.

"Stay here for a little bit. I think you still have a couple of clothes here." May told Peter and Peter smiled while nodding.

Back at the tower, Wanda, being the only one who wasn't affected, managed to discover that the team was acting weird rather quickly, and snapped them out of it.

"Hey! What happened? Weren't we still fighting? Wait, what's going on?" Steve asked, rubbing his head that felt really sore.

"You guys were under the effect of the tesseract." Wanda explained briefly and Tony cursed aloud.

"Where's Peter?" Tony asked, glancing around quickly.

"Uh, wasn't he here a moment ago?" Wanda asked worriedly as she, too, scouted around the common area.

"Did we accidentally chase him away?" Bruce asked, terrified of what they could have done to Peter.

"Maybe..." Wanda trailed off.

"Oh no..." Both Tony and Bruce buried their heads in their hands and groaned.

"Come on, let's go find him." Bucky told them and they all nodded simultaneously.

Tony, being the smart one, decided to check May's apartment first. He knocked on the door, and May came to answer it a few seconds later.

She looked rather startled at the sight of him.

"Hello there, Mister Stark. What brings you here?" She asked, staring at him in a weird manner.

"Uh, we wanted to know if Peter is here?" Tony asked May and May hesitated for a while.

"I don't know if he wants to see you now." May hesitated once more, before explaining, "You guys called him a burden, and an annoyance. And more of insults and all that. It really hurt him, I could tell."

"Shit..." Tony groaned as he buried his face in his hands once more.

"Come on in. Try talking to him. He is still pretty shaken up and uh, traumatised? He's really upset about it, though. Don't make it worse," May glared at Tony and he nodded.

Tony knocked on Peter's door, and heard Peter ask, "What is it, May?"

"Uh, it's not... exactly who you think it is." Tony stammered.

"Mister Stark?" Peter asked, puzzled, to see his mentor and/or father figure open his door.

"Hey, Pete." Tony sighed as he entered Peter's room, only to see Peter back into a corner of his room.

"I don't want to be a burden..." Peter murmured, and it shattered Tony's heart to see his, no, the kid, so broken.

"Hey, we didn't mean all that we said." Tony started, but Peter piped up rather quickly.

"You did. Loki's tesseract could show people's true thoughts. You meant it. You all did." Peter whispered while letting a tear or two slip down his cheek.

"I absolutely did not mean what I said. You're like a son to me. I'd never, ever call you a burden or an annoyance. Well, I can't promise about annoyance, but I can promise about burden." Tony said, and earned a small giggle out of Peter.

"Look, we're really sorry, and we really didn't mean it. It's okay if you don't forgive us, we just want you to know." Tony told Peter and Peter nodded slowly.

"Wait, uh, did we hurt you or anything?" Tony asked worriedly after a little while.

"With those words, of course not." Peter replied sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.

"Pete, seriously." Tony chuckled.

Peter shook his head, and Tony sighed in relief.

"Thank God you didn't touch the perfectly good brain of mine." Peter piped up and Tony rolled his eyes.

"I could give you your portion of brain back from mine and I'd still be smarter than you." Tony replied and Peter put a hand over his chest in mock offense.

"Come here, kiddo." Tony said as he got up and hugged Peter.

"This is a hug? Oh my God, the reporters need to know about this." Peter gasped and Tony laughed.

"Don't make me regret this." Tony fake threatened and Peter literally grabbed on to Tony.

"Nope, if my father figure is gonna give me a hug and not tell me he's opening the car door for me, I'm keeping it." Peter blurted out.

"Wait, you see me as a father figure?" Tony instantly regretted asking that.

"Peter, don't you dare..." Tony put up a finger.

"No, of course I don't. If anything, I see you as more of a bother figure." Peter replied and Tony ruffled his hair.

"What am I gonna do with you?"

Word count: 1107