For Them to Notice

TW: bullying, self-harm, suicide

Peter never truly understood why people always said, "Do not meet your idols."

To him, meeting his idols would be the coolest thing ever. Who wouldn't want to have the opportunity to brag about meeting their idols, especially when they were the Avengers?

So, when Peter first met the Avengers as Spider-Man, he was absolutely over the moon. He was right. It was the coolest thing ever. They treated him extremely well, and he felt like he was a part of their dysfunctional family even though he had only met them for a few minutes.

However, things began to go downhill after Aunt May fell victim to a robber and passed away. Distraught, Peter had stumbled into Stark Tower with his mask on, demanding to see Tony Stark. Minutes later, the billionaire had agreed to let Peter stay with them for as long as he needed to, for which Peter felt immensely grateful.

During his first day at Stark Tower, Peter had removed his mask and revealed his identity to the Avengers, feeling like he at least owed them that much for letting him stay. One can only imagine his shock when the Avengers erupted into laughter upon seeing his face.

"A kid?" Steve Rogers blurted out while laughing. "The criminals are being taken down by a goddamn kid?"

Peter awkwardly slipped away after that, feeling incredibly embarrassed. Thinking back, he found himself wishing that they'd stuck to merely laughing and mocking him, for less than a week after that, he'd officially become the team's punching bag.

Often, bruises decorated Peter's arms and chest from where Natasha accidentally hit him a little too hard or from where Wanda misaimed and sent a ball of energy flying at him. Whenever Peter brought those incidents up, the Avengers would instantly deny them, telling him that he was coming up with things. Peter stopped speaking to them three weeks ago.

He wondered how long it would take for them to notice if one day, he just disappeared.

~~~

As Peter stepped into Stark Tower after a bad day of school, he mentally prepared himself for another day of assault.

"Welcome back, Spider-Wimp. I've informed boss about your arrival." FRIDAY announced after Peter tapped his ID card at the entrance.

"Oh, so now it's wimp," Peter muttered to himself, unamused by Tony's name-calling.

"Look who's back," Clint drawled as he pointed at Peter, who'd just stepped out of the elevator. Judging by the dark looks on their faces, the Avengers were not in a good mood at all. Normally, that would have terrified Peter, but after dealing with Flash at school, he was not in the mood to deal with anymore bullshit.

Ignoring all of them, Peter turned and headed for his room, only to be stopped by Natasha who dragged him back by his hoodie and slammed him against a wall.

"Do not ignore us like that, is that clear?" she spat out in disgust. "We let you live here. The least you could so is show us some respect."

Not wanting to provoke Natasha or anyone else, Peter nodded curtly. Natasha released her hold on him and he quickly slipped into his room, locking the door behind him. Deciding that he needed to do something to distract himself, Peter changed into his suit and leapt out of the window in his room, swinging through the streets of New York.

After stopping three robberies and a murder, Peter decided to call it a day. With adrenaline still pumping through his system, Peter swung back home, only to find himself outside his old apartment building in Queens. His muscle memory had brought him back there, and Peter felt all of the adrenaline leave his system as he looked into the window leading to the living room of his old apartment.