Kissing You; Chapter 1; Wait Up Baby Girl

Start from the beginning

"Again," Tasha adds before squeezing me in much tighter.

Those words sunk in a little deeper and I deeply exhaled at the thought of mom leaving and never coming back. I need to be strong. Just for Tash, because no one else is going to look out for us.

Not even our own mother.

"Now why don't you go get ready for school and I'll meet you downstairs with some breakfast. How does that sound?" I suggest as I place my hands on either side of her tiny face and softly plant a delicate kiss on her smooth forehead.

"That sounds awesome!" she cheerfully yells, with a big cheesy grin on her face.

"Okay, go now before you're late for school princess," I quietly order with a small smile.

She swiftly turns on her heel and rushes to the bathroom and shuts the door. I stand there helplessly not knowing what to do. I swear there was something I was supposed to do, it's just slipped my mind. Right! I need to make my little sister breakfast.

I run downstairs in my pajamas and slippers and head for the kitchen. I notice the kitchen is in a right state, The pots and pans are all stacked together, over loading the tiny silver sink. There are food stains all over the cooker and the cupboards look as if they had just been attacked by a vicious wildebeest.

My shoulders immediately drop when I notice the chaotic state of the kitchen and I feel powerless and weak. Why can't my Mom just be like them really clean, sweet Moms who cook with you, tells jokes, looks after the house and maybe even looks out for her kids and calls whenever she can?

Sometimes I feel like I'm cursed. I had a Dad, then I had another who made mine and my Mom's life a living hell and now I have a Mom who expects me to look after myself, the house and Tasha. Life is so unfair. My family's not exactly rich like a couple of kids in my school, I ain't gonna say any names (the Carlson Brothers). I had to! I mean... who already own businesses of their own and every thirsty female at the high school worship this ground that they walk on.

I wish I was free. I can't be responsible and reliable. Tasha has become too attached to me and it's tiring me out. I have a life of my own to worry about. I can't even socialise with other people anymore because I'm too busy looking after my younger sister and covering for my Mom. Sometimes I just want to break down and cry. But I won't because I'm my own boss and that's the way its always going to be.

I will never let them see me cry, no matter how much it hurts.

I quickly make Tasha some breakfast oblivious to the fact the kitchen is still a right mess. When mom gets home, she can clean it herself. I hear Tasha's footsteps rushing down the stairs and she lands with a big thump which startles me a little.

"Come have your breakfast and I'll drive you to school," I order, placing the bowl of cornflakes and dried fruit on the counter and wait for her to settle herself on the tall stool.

"We're not driving in that ugly car are we?" she says in disgust. So blatant.

"Hey! That car is not ugly, it just needs some paint then everything will be nice again!"

"Yeah that's what you said last year and you still haven't done it," she quietly murmurs to herself as if I didn't hear her.

"Tasha shut up and eat your food. I'm going upstairs to get ready. Give me thirty minutes."

And with that, I exit the kitchen and race upstairs to the bathroom and tightly shut the door behind me. I jump in the shower for a good half an hour, wrap myself with a towel then head for my bedroom. I race to the wardrobe and swing open the doors. I cock my head to one side, knit my eyebrows tightly together then stare the pile of clothes down.