XIII• Good Things

"Yosuga woke up today!" Sakura cheerfully sang, clutching her clipboard to her chest. She made sure to keep her voice down as she beamed down at the groggy shinobi on the other side of Yosuga's bed. Daichi shot up to his feet, sleep immediately blinked out of his eyes.

"What? Where? When?" He looked around the room, still not fully understanding what Sakura said. He looked down at Yosuga, who lay asleep on her bed, just like she was went he went to sleep. He lifted an eyebrow. "She's not awake."

"Yeah, she didn't completely wake up, but when I was checking up on her earlier she opened her eyes a bit and called you ugly and went back to sleep!" Sakura's smile was so big Daichi was starting to wonder if this was even real. Maybe he was still asleep. Though, it did sound like something Yosuga would say.

"She wakes up from a three week coma just to call me ugly and go back to sleep? Maybe she should have just stayed comatose." He was barely able to get the last sentence out before Sakura was throwing her clipboard at his face. He tried not to cry when a corner hit him right in the nose, but he knew she saw the tears gathering in his eyes before he blinked them away. She crossed her arms with an agitated huff.

"This is a good thing, Daichi. It means she's... good." Sakura replaced her irritated look with a fond smile as she looked down at her friend. She brushed a couple strands of hair behind Yosuga's ear. "It means she's going to be okay. And we don't have worry anymore. It's like you said, she's fighting. And that's a good thing."

"Yeah." Daichi sat back down in his chair, rubbing his nose. It wasn't broken, which was good. "You're right."

"You never doubted her. You were never scared. You never worried. You just waited. I wish I was like that."

"Good things come to those who wait." Sakura chuckled softly at his words, brushing her fingers across Yosuga's cheek. Sakura noticed Yosuga looked a lot different when she was sleeping and her face wasn't contorted into her perpetual look of disdain. Daichi looked between them curiously. "Sakura..."

There was a moment of slight hesitance before Sakura moved her gaze to Daichi. One he didn't miss as he met her eyes. He wondered how long it took him to really notice it, or if it was something he just knew all along. Either way, the sparkle in Sakura's eye was unmistakable. And though he may not know much about love, he knew at the very least what it looked like.

"Does she know how much you love her?"

Sakura froze, her mouth dropping open. For a moment, she looked like she might explode before she came back to herself, snatching her hand away from Yosuga's face and standing up straight. Her face was entirely red as she looked down at her feet.

"Am I really so transparent?" She almost whispered.

"Not transparent enough, if I'm the only one whose caught on to it," Daichi shrugged. Sakura ran a hand through her hair, sighing.

"It's...weird, I know. And-and it's not like I want to- and if she- I don't want her to hate me if-"

"It's not weird. Yosuga could never hate you, Sakura. You're her closest friend. And hey, you never know, maybe she also-" Daichi tried, but Sakura stopped her before he got too far.

"You don't have to do that. I'm not interested in false hopes like that. I'd rather not pine after her like- like I did with Sasuke. If I... if I can just continue to be her friend... her partner... then that's okay with me. I can live with that. Especially when there are more important things going on. My feelings should be the least of her problems right now." Sakura nodded to herself in affirmation. Daichi held up his hands in surrender.