X• Limbo

When Yosuga dreamed it was usually about the death of her family and friends. About fire and destruction. About the end of the world.

But for once, as she was finally able to slip into something resembling rest during the intervals between pain that seemed to stretch longer between each other, she didn't dream of death. She dreamt of life. She dreamt of wind blowing through the green leaves of tall trees and birds nesting their branches. She dreamt of deer prancing through a shallow river, colorful fish swerving out of their way. It was peaceful.

She found herself walking through that forest, with no real direction, until she came upon a very familiar house. Her house. But her house had never looked as bright and welcoming as this, and there had definitely never been the sounds of laughter coming from the inside.

Slowly coming upon the house, she leaned her ear against the front door. Who was in her house? The sound of laughter and conversation were a lot louder now, but she couldn't make out any of the voices.

She stepped in, absentmindedly taking off her shoes, seeing others placed on the shoe rack. Five other pairs were there. Her house had never been this full, but for some reason it didn't put her on edge. She ventured into the kitchen, finding it empty, before advancing through the hall to the living room, noticing the sounds getting even louder. The sounds became clearer, turning into voices. Familiar voices. Voices that made her eyes water.

She walked into the living room, standing in the doorway as her eyes widened. Everyone was here. Daichi. Minami. Takeshi. Her father. Her mother. They all looked so happy, conversing and laughing as they lounged on the cushioned chairs in the living room. Her father looked at her mother with loving eyes and a smile on his face as she laughed at a joke he just told. Takeshi and Daichi sat on a couch together, joking around. Takeshi rolled his eyes as Minami made fun of him from her seat on a chair across from them.

Her mother was the first to notice Yosuga, turning to her daughter with a sweet smile.

"Yosuga, welcome home." She greeted, and everyone turned to her, smiles on their faces as well. She looked up at her father. The man she feared but admired as a child. The man who never showed her love. The man she could never make proud. He gave her a gentle smile, but she could barely even see it with the tears in her eyes.

And they were streaming down her cheeks, now. Her face contorted, looking like she was ready to burst into tears before a huge grin spread across her face. Her bottom lip shook as she let out a choked laugh.

"I'm home."

***

Blank eyes stared up at the hanging girl in the dark, windowless room. Light from the hallway shined through the open door just enough to dimly illuminate the room.

She was asleep, as far as he could tell, knocked out from chakra exhaustion. Her wrists, bloody from thrashing around and chaffing against the cuffs, were chained to the ceiling, her feet just barely grazing the floor. Her damp hair stuck to her cheeks, with tears and the layer of sweat that covered her body acting as the glue. Even in her sleep, she panted, trying to catch her breath from the screams that stole the air from her lungs. Her face was contorted into a look of pain, though she looked perfectly fine on the outside.

He had never seen her look so helpless before.

In all their time together, Yosuga had never failed to radiate strength and confidence. But here, hanging limply in this small room like a broken doll on display, she looked absolutely crushed. Inches from a death that she begged for, but never close enough to actually obtain it.

It made his blood boil.

Seeing someone who used to be so close to him like this- and her of all people- struck a chord in him. It made him unbelievably angry, but not at her. No, at the one who put her there. He'd kill him for this. Make him suffer. Destroy him.

Orochimaru.

His eyes narrowed when she stirred, her face scrunching as she took in a long breath, her eyes flickering open. For a spilt second, she thought she saw him, staring up at her with a deep scowl. For a split second, she felt a strange sense of relief. For a split second, he was there.

But when she fully came to, the room was empty, and there was no trace of him ever being there, and she was left believing her mind was playing tricks on her.

***

Two days had passed. The hounds still hadn't come back, which meant one of two things: either the journey was longer than expected, or Orochimaru had killed them. Everyone was on edge.

Naruto lied on his couch, sprawled out against the cushions. He hadn't slept since he found out his friend was taken. He had tried to wash his worries down with sake, like Yosuga did so many times, but it didn't work. The only thing his fuzzy mind could think of was the green haired kunoichi. He heaved a sigh, staring at the necklace he twirled in his fingers.

The moonlight that krept through the open window glinted against the green gem. He remembered giving her the necklace vividly, that one night at the festival. Everything about it was so awkward and sudden but she had accepted it anyways. At the time, he didn't think she would ever wear it, let alone everyday.

Everything was so much simpler back then, even when it wasn't.

"Naruto?" The voice came with a soft knock on the door. "Are you here?"

He thought about not answering. About ignoring them and downing another bottle of sake just because. But the voice that called to him was so pleading, and he knew lying around his apartment wouldn't help him. So he dragged himself of his beat up old couch and sauntered to the door.

He greeted Sakura with glassy eyes and messy hair, and when she looked up into his eyes he expected her to berate him for not taking better care of himself. Expected her to yell in his face and tell him to go shower.

Instead she threw her arms around his neck and squeezed.

"I know," she whispered into his neck. "I miss her too, I know."

Naruto wrapped his arms around her in return. "I'm scared," he said.

"I know," Her tears were already wetting his collar. "Me too."

***

"You were so little last time I saw you. So small and weak, angry at the world but still ready to fight for it. Another Leaf Kid trying to prove their worth. No wonder I never thought twice about you," Kabuto took another bite out of an apple, leaning on the doorway. "Who ever would have thought you'd become this powerful? Not even Lord Orochimaru saw it coming. But power has put a target on your back, and now it just might kill you. Funny how that works."

"You sure like to talk," Yosuga rolled her eyes. She was barely listening- the pain that shook her body made it hard to focus- but his voice was giving her an even bigger headache than she already had. And even thought it hurt the speak from all the screaming she had been doing, she really couldn't help but patronize the nerd standing in front of her.

"But you don't have to worry about dying here, so don't worry," Kabuto continued like she hadn't said anything. "You'll be kept alive just long enough to carry out Lord Orochimaru's will-"

"I'm not doing shit for that snake!" Yosuga felt the need to declare. Kabuto only smirked at her.

"You don't have much of a choice," he said, and then he was gone. Yosuga let out a sigh.

She was close to giving up, now. She knew she shouldn't. She knew she had to wait. Just be patient. But after three days of torture, she grew more and more tired. She spent more time in a state in between unconsciousness and death. She kept telling herself they'd come for her, and that was why she had to stay alive. For their sake. For her team. For her friends. For her Clan. For Kakashi. For Sakura. For Naruto.

She knew she had to hang on, for just a bit longer, but she was slowly starting to come to a realization.

She didn't need to be saved.

She was a Jounin rank ninja. Her skills were on par with that of an ANBU. She was the head of one of the most powerful clans in existence. She was the sole Shimizu Clan member with the Rerugan. She was the damn Green Goblin, for Kami's sake! She could save herself. She was no damsel.

So as the pain in her neck started up once again, and tears prickled her eyes, she made the decision that she was going to get herself out of here all on her own.