Chapter 36

A call erupted from Chard's phone. It was a Discord call from XXXCoolJay whose profile picture was a photoshopped Lainey Paris NPC meme. Chard didn't hit respond. Quickly after, XXXCoolJay messaged him. "Where the frick are you?"

 Chard typed a response. Lainey craned her neck over to see what Chard was typing back. She saw how in previous messages Chard sent XXXCoolJay a picture from a metal band named Fire & Temptation. They were a band that Haz had made popular. Chard's profile picture was a poorly-drawn and inappropriate picture of fanart of a character from the book 24-hour Survivors by Zane Survivor. "I'm talking to this hot girl. She's annoying, but I like it," Chard typed, putting a tongue sticking out emoji after he said that.

 "Shut up!" Lainey almost swatted his phone out a window.

 "Sorry, it cracks me up. Oh, I'm not blaming the comment on you," Chard laughed, his head flying up. Codebreaker, still in his armor, seemed to not like Chard's joking.

 "There's a fine line between joking and going too far," Codebreaker said.

 "Joseph, who is CoolJay online, doesn't know what girl I'm talking about since I don't tell him much personal content. He lives in Japan anyway which is far away from this main mess. He couldn't come over to the states even if he wanted to since his parents don't have a lot of money and he's disabled," Chard replied.

 "Are you making fun of disabled people?" Lainey inquired. She knew he wasn't, but she was curious to hear what he had to say.

 "No, I'm not," Chard replied. Of course, he wasn't. He loved government. Lainey liked government sometimes, but she didn't think that it was a foolproof system. She wasn't big on government, but it was better than having no government.

 Her timer went off on her phone.

 "Bye, Codebreaker and Chard," Lainey replied.

 "Bye, Lainey. It was nice to meet you," Chard said. After talking to Codebreaker for a second, Chard handed his phone to Lainey on the contact's app while CoolJay messaged him more cringey jokes about girls and sent him videos about the best ways to get a girl high on your kisses. Chard didn't even disable his notifications for his private Discord conversations.

 "Thank you. Grace's number is on here and a lot of other people. This is awesome!" Lainey yelled. She called Nathan, Grace, David, Piopold, and Jon Millard. She said bye to all of them. She hugged Codebreaker goodbye and fist-bumped with Chard. She thought of all her adventures with Nathan and how likable he was. She pushed any thoughts out of her mind. No marriages or children. She raced out the door of David's mansion and raced to the underground club, Stonerz!