XXXIX - Farewell, Little Aerys

Mishka adjusted the boy's collar and smiled sadly at him. "Look at my boy, all grown up," she whispered, tears glistening in her eyes once more. "I remember when you barely old enough to walk."

"And it's because of you that I learned to walk, Mishka." Aerysdren grinned. He pushed a strand of his hair behind his pointed ear and adjusted his pack. "Thank you. For everything."

"Just remember what I told you." She jabbed a finger at him. "No-"

Aerysdren rolled his eyes. He had heard this at least fifty times that morning. "I get it, Mishka. Stay away from humans, if anybody offers me powder-don't take it, hide the ears, and don't talk to random people. You've practically beaten that into my head now."

"Good." Mishka nodded and sighed. "Try and remember your Common, and pick up what you can. And for Lyna's sake, stay the hell away from Juliec. You better write to me too! Do not make me hunt you down. You know I will."

Aerysdren chuckled and took the older elf's calloused hands in his own. "I will, mama, I promise. I go with Lyna's blessing," he assured her. "And I won't be gone forever, you know. I'll come back."

"A true Sylvanaar will miss his homeland, little Aerys. We were not made to be gone long," Mishka quietly replied. "Just as the birds must always return when the Spring Mother once again shines her warmth down upon us."

Aerysdren looked around at the tall aspen trees that towered above him, their golden leaves rustling in the autumn wind. A woodpecker could be heard pecking on a tree somewhere far off, and the dancing grass that blanketed the forest floor was adorned with beautiful, vibrant bushes and flowers. He turned his gaze behind him, to the border of the forest. To the border of Sheeth Alinar. Beneath his feet was a dirt path; rarely trodden upon and partially overgrown. It led to Dalyntarth, and eventually opened up to the Weary Road.

He turned back to Mishka with a half shrug. "This will always be my home. I love it...nothing else can compare to its beauty. But sometimes the bird finds another nest."

"Aerys." Mishka couldn't help but smile and rub her forehead. She embraced the young man in a warm, loving hug, her hand on the back of his fluffy, black haired head. "You'll always be my little Aerys. Always, no matter what. I know you'll make me proud. Just come back to me, you hear? I did not raise you for fifty five years for you to just up and leave me."

"Come on, Mishka, do not make me all weepy." Aerysdren rested his head on her shoulder. "I will write to you whenever I can. I promise to come back soon. Besides, Ysrendyr gets lonely when I'm away." He grinned.

"I'm holding you to that promise." Mishka pulled away, tears streaming down her tanned and weathered face. She quickly wiped them away, revealing glistening brown eyes that glowed with pride in the morning sun. "Well, go on now, kid. I'll be waiting for you when you're back."

Aerysdren suddenly remembered something very important. "What about my parents?" he asked. "What will you tell them?"

Mishka crossed her arms and shook her head. "Not a damn thing, Aerys. If they ask me, I will tell them. But only if they ask me."

"Thank you." Aerysdren bowed his head in appreciation. "I doubt that they will even notice that I am gone for about a week or so." He smiled smally and clasped Mishka in another brief hug. "Well, goodbye Mishka! I'll write to you as soon I can!"

"Farewell, little Aerys." Mishka waved at him. "I love you! Never forget that...."

With that, Aerysdren turned around and walked down the path, the tranquil surroundings of the forest slowly leaving him.