Chapter 13

Lennon

The following day Alandra offered to give me a ride to school. This, I first thought was very sweet of her because I never asked for it but then the thought of her sudden offering had a tinge of suspicion to it.

Anyway, that leaves me standing on the porch of my house at 7:15 in the morning which was a little too early for how close my house was to the school.

Yeah, Alandra's kind gesture definitely seemed shady now.

The blaring horn of a Mini Cooper and Snoop Dogg disrupting the peace was a sign of certainty that my best friend was here.

The window of her driver's seat rolls down and there was my wannabe hipster.

"Wassup dawwwg!" Is first thing I'm hit with.

"Uh, good morning to you too," I greet, lacking the enthusiasm Alandra radiated. I groggily open the door to the passenger side and slid into the car.

The music changes into Eminem's hits one after another and Alandra, I realise, is taking the long way to school. I stare at her from the corner of my eye.

Something was up.

"You do know this route takes longer-"

"I'm Slim Shady, yes I'm the real Shady! All you other Slim Shadys are just imitating! So won't the real Slim Shady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up?"

Oh right, I forgot.

Never interrupt the Alinem moment (Alandra + Eminem). It's equivalent to Satan asking for baptism, she says.

If I were you, I would not try to make sense of that comparison.

Anyway, the car comes to a halt midway and her Alinem moment does too. Alandra closes her eyes and takes heavy breaths. She's just paying regards to the rapper with a moment of silence.

And I respect that.

She shoots her eyes open and looks at me. An unexpected expression of irritation coating her feature.

"What the hell!" She hisses. I stay blinking cluelessly after her.

"Where were you yesterday?! Harry Styles of all people reported you sick-"
"Whoa, he did that?" I ask, shocked.
That was kind of thoughtful of him, considering our argument yesterday.

Alandra reluctantly nods to my question and continues. "But the point is, how did he know about your illness before me? Not saying that I'm offended or anything but I'm offended! Besides, what is this that I hear about someone seeing you ride on his bike, aka his iron child? He literally doesn't let anyone so much as to breathe near it, let alone sit. That's not the point, the point is why were you on it, or were rumored to be? Also that thing looks too dangerous for someone as fragile as you, I was worried he killed you!" She impressively managed to say all this faster than her 'Slim Shady' rap. And that takes talent.

"Well, here's me in flesh so you may be assured he didn't kill me," I lightly laugh but Alandra wasn't taking any of that.

"Explain." She demands. And so I do.

"I was just feeling a little nauseous during art, probably because I hadn't had breakfast or something. It got worse so I urgently booked a cab home. On my way out, Harry was the first person I came across and I requested him to pass the message on my behalf but I was little expecting him to obey," I speak nonchalantly.