15. Trapped in the Darkness

The puddles of darkness were slowly spreading, reaching out and connecting as large pools and surrounding Virgil's sleeping figure. The floor was almost completely concealed, and Depression smiled, watching one of the final two bolts melt away.

*********************************************

"Wake up, Thomas," Logan commanded and they all waited.

It took slightly longer, but Thomas eventually gasped, jerked upright and right into Patton's waiting arms.

"You're alright, Kiddo." He cooed, as tears started flowing from the hosts eyes. "We've got you."

Roman and Logan looked around the room, worry settling in their guts as they realised Virgil hadn't appeared like before.

"Is that it?" Rage asked out loud. "If Thomas is awake then Anx- um, Virgil, is awake now. Right?"

"Who are you?" Thomas questioned, wiping stray tears from his cheeks. "Where is Virgil?"

"This is Rage," Roman tugged on the chain and Rage was jerked forward. "He did something to Virgil. We haven't had the chance for a proper chat yet."

Logan looked at Rage, "Virgil isn't here. You need to tell us what you did, right now."

Rage felt small with the intense stares each side and Thomas gave him, and he finally understood how Virgil must have felt on a daily basis.

"I just wanted to fit in somewhere. I was tired of being an outcast and feeling...empty."

"Get to the point, Rage. Please," Patton begged.

"We... Deceit and I thought that taking back our power from the seal would help us feel better. That that was the reason why we couldn't find our true place in the mindscape."

"You released Depression?" Patton squeaked. The colour drained from Logan's face and Roman clenched his jaw in frustration.

"No! Well, maybe. I-I didn't want to in the end. It was an accident. Something happened with the shadows in the room and-and it happened so fast. I swear, I told Deceit we should stop when I saw how weak Lust and Ego's seals were. W-we-we weren't going to do it."

"How did you know Lust and Ego's seals were weak?" Logan questioned, processing all the information as fast as he could.

"Their scars were faded. I figured that they had less of a connection because they fused with Roman."

"So much for it being a sign of aging," Roman sighed and looked at Logan, knowing the side would now be considering what else Virgil had lied about.

"Thomas, I am sorry." Rage looked at his host, regret in his voice and eyes. "I was selfish, and I may have put you in danger. The total opposite to what I am meant to do. I make you stand up for yourself and voice injustice. I should have just stuck to that and left everything else alone."

"I forgive you." The sides all looked at Thomas in complete and utter shock. "Virgil acted out a lot before I accepted him. Perhaps the reason you couldn't find your place in the mindscape was my fault."

"What do you mean?"

"I hadn't accepted you as a part of me. You can't really have a comfortable place in my mind if I don't accept you as a part of me. You are important Rage. I'm sorry I didn't see that before."

The chains vanished from Rage's wrists and the impulse looked at Roman in surprise. "You have made... Bad choices, but you aren't a villain. We shouldn't treat you like one."