13. Under the Influence

Virgil sat at the bottom of the stream, watching Thomas muck around in his hotel room for an Instagram vlog. The waters current slowly pushed him back to the surface and Virgil happily took the air back into his lungs.

"ReMeMbEr"

The word was carried through the forest by its usual breeze and Virgil groaned outwardly.

"That really isn't helping anymore. What else is there to remember?"

"ReMeMbEr"

"What?" Virgil looked around the area, taking in the water falling from the mountain, the surrounding forest and the rock formation that led back to his room. "I don't have anything else TOO remember. If you want me to do something so bad, then tell me what to actually do."

"ReMeMbEr"

"Fuck it! I'm out."

The breeze blew harder and louder as he stomped back to his room, but Virgil was sick and tired of the cryptic breeze. He didn't know what it wanted him to do and the darkness was creeping back into the trees that he had cleared by talking to Patton. Depression remained silent, but the voices in his territory had increased in frequency.

Summoning his desk, Virgil sat down to start reviewing his concerns for the influencer event. Logan had previously taught him to write down his concerns and then Logan would add his rebuttal. It often worked for new situations and helped Virgil deal with the increase in shadows because his mind was already focused. Looking over his and Logan's notes caused the time to pass by easily.

**********************************************

Depression sat at the edge of his cage, arms reaching out between the bars, letting his fingers dance in a black puddle that had formed at the base of the cage. A shadow sat on the other side of the puddle, it's face had a shine that Depression could almost see his reflection in.

" Tomorrow is set to be a busy day, my little friend."

The shadow responded by moving closer and Depression stroked its head with a wet hand; increasing the gloss on its face so he could just make out the reflection of his grey eyes.

" Such a good-looking little shadow. I know Anxiety is just going to LOVE you. I can't wait to introduce you one day soon."

*********************************************

The event was for invited influencer groups only and encouraged people from different social media platforms to come together. After entering the building, Thomas looked in his welcome pack and reviewed the various pamphlets and free samples.

They had all prepared themselves. Virgil had remained in balance enough to give Thomas a good night sleep. Logan had planned out Thomas' day to ensure he would take breaks away from the crowd and attend only the most beneficial panels and information sessions. Roman and Patton were overflowing with excitement and anticipation. Together they worked to hype Thomas up despite Virgil's increasing anxiousness.

Virgil sat in his territory, watching Thomas' ghostly form join a small crowd of people to watch a camera demonstration. He processed the shadows as they formed in his room; wanting to stay on top and in control. He was prepared for the shadows, but not the voices.

"ReMeMbEr"

"ReMeMbEr"

Thomas started talking to a new group and the shadows increased. Virgil concentrated and kept himself as calm as possible.