Chapter 2

The cat drew back as it saw the tall man in dark clothing squat down in front of her only exit. She hissed. 'I'm not afraid of you!'

But of course, the stranger didn't understand. That was something she had come to realize was the reality of things.

"Where's your owner, kitty?" asked the man, who had a surprisingly soft voice. He studied her with an expression of concern. "Oh, you have no collar. Do you not have an owner looking for you?"

'No, I own myself, thank you.'

"Then . . ." he looked around quickly and furtively at the people passing nearby. He puffed out his cheeks and rested his chin in his hand. "Would it be okay?" he muttered to himself.

The cat debated whether she should try to slip out from the remaining gap between the exit and the man, but before she could make a decision, he had already reached into the depth of the boxes and pulled her out gently. She wriggled and cried, but he didn't let her go. She only batted at his arms as hard as she could with sheathed claws because she didn't really want to hurt anyone.

"Shh," said the man soothingly. "I won't hurt you. I'm Taekwoon, by the way. Jung Taekwoon. Do you want to go home with me? I've always wanted a cat." He smiled cutely.

'I'm not your average cat! Don't say such inappropriate things to a girl.' The cat gave up trying to hit Taekwoon. But why do you have to be kind of cute . . . and catlike? You literally have a cat face. No wonder you like cats so much—you must be one yourself.

Ugh, fine. I'll figure out how to escape later.

Taekwoon must have taken the cat's cessation of fighting as assent, as he said, "Then for now, I need to get some food for you. But how will I know you won't run away?"

You know what . . . most people are nice and like animals, thought the cat to herself. Why don't you just momentarily forget all the disillusioning things you've been through and trust in the goodness of humanity?

'I'll wait here then,' she told Taekwoon.

Slowly, the young man set her down, and picked his groceries up. She sat on the sidewalk, craning her neck as he stood.

'Wow . . . Tall.'

"If it's not there when I come back, it's not meant to be," whispered Taekwoon, taking small steps away from the cat, his eyes glued to her. She stared back, not budging from her spot.

'Go on,' she urged. 'Chop chop. You said we were going to your house, so you should hurry up and take me there.'

Taekwoon lingered for a moment. "Please wait for me," he murmured, before turning and running back towards the store as fast as he could.

A/N: I'm so behind on my VIXX news that I only today found out about Ravi starting his own label instead of renewing his contract with Jelpi and Hongbin's upcoming collab with Monsta X's Hyungwon. Kinda bittersweet feelings about the former, but all that matters is that VIXX is still together...

(Also that teaser for Leo's collab looks super promising! Excited for that as well.)

Please leave a comment or vote! I'd love to hear from you.