When my turn came, I knew I had to put on a confident look. He led me to a room which was a bit farther from the elevators. Taking in a deep breath, I knocked once before entering. It was a medium sized room with a desk placed at the center and stern-looking woman with rimmed glasses sat behind it with her laptop. And behind her sat a man who was busy typing away on his Samsung Note. I couldn’t see his face since he was facing the window, and I assumed that he was going to be the silent interviewer. The one who wouldn’t talk and just stare.

“Please sit,” the stern-woman said.

“Thank you,” I said, politely, handing over my CV.

Her eyes immediately flew to the work experience section. I saw her fingers scan through and stop right at the event’s experience I had faked. Shit.

“I see you have past experience in events?” she looked up, staring at me through her rimmed glasses. But for me it looked as though she was analyzing me.

“Yes.” I replied, curtly.

“Midlands Event Management Company?”

“Yes.”

“I see,” she says. “And you have studied at the University of Manchester in UK.”

“Yes.”

She gazes at the CV thoughtfully before looking back at me. “I want you to tell me a few things you have learnt at your previous job.”

I swallow hard. You can do this, I mentally chant. “We—uh—I learnt that timing is everything as well as planning. Everything needs to be pre planned and we must brace ourselves for the disasters that may follow.”

She raised an eyebrow, “so you’re saying that there will be disasters even if you pre plan?”

“Of course,” I said, feeling sudden confidence rise. “Things always go wrong at one point or another.”

“You’re actually one of the few who has admitted that things can go wrong. Most of the applicants were so sure that with thorough rechecking—it can be avoided.”

“They were bluffing,” I blurted, instantly regretting it.

And for the first time, the man behind turned around to take a good look at me. I could feel myself sinking in the chair. He stretched one hand and picked up my CV, reading my name.

“Amy Wilson.”

I nodded, mutely, not knowing what else to say.

“What position did you hold at your last job?” he asked.

I was so intimidated by his voice that I nearly squeaked, “Assistant.”

He raised both brows like he wanted me to continue and I felt my face go pale. Shoot. I didn’t know what to say. I mean, I didn’t bother to check any of the event managers’ names. Well, this is what you get for lying, my inner voice said and I shut it out.

Think for a name. Think for the most common name in UK. Oh god, by the looks those two were giving me it was obvious they were catching up with the fact that I was lying. I searched my brain as much I could before blurting-

“Victoria.”

The man frowned, “Victoria. Last name?”

“Jones,” I said, recalling a friend’s name.

This time he gave me a skeptical look, “Are you sure?”

“Yes,” I gave him an equally steady look.