Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven:

It was nearly 7:30 am and Hazel was walking out of Steve's apartment building with her old backpack strapped to her back. She wore black jeans and a loose white shirt, her hair was slightly wavy and pulled over her shoulders.

Peter grinned at her from across the street, he was in jeans with a blue sweater on. His hair was swept back as it usually was, and he greeted her just the same.

"What's up?"

They fell into step with each other as they walked towards a bus stop, "Nothing, really. I just woke up, got dressed and everything."

"Not even a shower first?"

"I had one last night, genius."

Cars honked and tires squealed, even shouts filled the air. It was like a normal morning, like five years earlier when most people had no care in the world. It sucked that everything was different, and that so many things had been lost.

They stopped at the bus stop, and minutes later a bus pulled in and they both got on. She reached into her pocket and yanked out a bus ticket, stuffing it into the slot and rushed to find any open seats. There was two towards the back, and she placed her bag on the empty one next to her until Peter made it back to her. He picked up her bag and sat down, placing it on her lap.

"Are you ready to go back?" She asked after a few minutes, "To see everyone again?"

He sighed, "I want to see Ned, and even MJ. And I'm glad to get back in the labs and work on random projects but that's about it. I loved school before, but now... I don't know."

Hazel pursed her lips. She wanted to comfort him, but she wasn't sure how in this situation. Everything going forward was going to be different and she wasn't sure how to proceed.

"Where were you when you disappeared?"

Hazel had been wanting to ask him, but was worried about his reaction. She was curious, and just wanted to make sure he was truly unharmed wherever he went.

"I don't know." He looked over at her, keeping his voice low. "But I knew wherever I was, I was trapped, but I was with a group of other people."

"Who?"

"At first I only saw Quill, and then the others from his group appeared. Dr Strange was there, so was your dad. I met Wanda, and Mr Rogers' friend Sam."

Hazel nodded, quite curious where Sam had went after the funeral. She hadn't seen him since, and it appeared neither had Steve or Bucky.

"I met others as well but I can't remember who they are."

Hazel sighed, moving her gaze out the window. "Do you remember—"

"I'm not talking about this anymore." He huffed as the brakes of the bus groaned, he stood up motioning for her to follow. "This is our stop."

She got up, rushing after him. They had gotten across the city in such a short amount of time? They both got out of the bus and joined the rush of students all returning to school. The building was just up ahead of them now, and they pushed their way through hugging students and teary eyed teachers reuniting.

"I didn't mean to push." Hazel told him, raising her voice over the clammer of voices. "Sorry."

He said nothing, only gave her a reassuring look, telling her not to worry. She would, no matter what anybody said.

They climbed up the steps and she watched as Peter tensed before stepping through the front doors of the school. Even more kids were filtering around inside, most with their friend groups and some just wandering around looking like they were lost.