Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen:

Everything was loud, a mixture of screams and hollers as footsteps shook the ground beneath. Hazel blinked slowly before rolling over and coughing, she was on her stomach slowly pulling herself up.

"Hazel?"

She looked over to see Wanda, the women smiled throwing her arms around her. "Wanda?" Hazel asked weakly, "How— Are you alright?"

She nodded, cupping her face. "We're back."

A battle cry like noise sounded from somewhere above them and the women's hands dropped, the smile sliding off of her face. "And we have some ass to kick."

Hazel watched as the women disappeared into the crowd. The crowd down below which was filled with much to many people, those of who had vanished in the snap.

It had worked! Bruce did it, he brought everyone back. Hazel shook her head, everything still seeming way to new for her. She willed for the life underneath the ground to come up, but nothing happened.

"No." She whispered, trying to lift a stream of water running by her feet. But again, nothing happened. Hazel wanted to cry, was she really 16 again?

She was somehow far away from the action, as the majority of the fight was taking place down in a hole that had formed from one of the missiles. She couldn't see much, just a glowing figure attacking Thanos, and it appeared they were winning. Hazel took off in a sprint, trying to get down there fast enough and help. A mechanical creature shot towards her out of nowhere, and the closer she got the more charged. She ducked away from two of them, and the third one came at a lightning speed only for it to crumble away to nothing just before reaching her.

Hazel's eyes focused on the group she was nearing, wondering what the hell was going on and how much she had missed. She walked by Carol Danvers who had finally made a reappearance, the women was on the ground taking deep breaths.

"Haven't seen you in awhile." Carol said to her, "It's good to see you."

Hazel went to say something to the women but was cut off,

"Mr Stark." A voice cracked and Hazel's eyes found a cluster of people surrounding a large rock.

"Peter?" She mumbled, a small smile spreading on her face seeing the back of his head, he was whispering other things that were inaudible to her as she approached. "Tony? It's Peter."

The smile quickly fell, "We won, Mr Stark."

Hazel rushed forward as Peter was pulled out of the way, she stumbled forward falling next to a weak looking, and dying Tony Stark.

"Not you to." She mumbled, feeling tears well in her eyes. "Tony— hey, stay with us."

His eyes seemed to recognize her as he smiled, "Barnes. You're alright."

"I'm fine." She nodded, a sob escaping her lips. He was awfully pale, and his skin cold to the touch. "What did you do?"

He didn't reply, he seemed so far away. That's when she noticed the stones stuck in his suit, and her mind clicked the pieces together.

"Why? No— Tony, please." She cried, "We need you. The world needs you."

"Hazel." She knew the voice belonged to Pepper.

Oh god. She thought, Morgan. He has a daughter, and a wife.

"Tony." Hazel's voice cracked, she held onto him in an odd hug, "I need you. Please don't go. Not yet."

This wasn't supposed to happen. They weren't supposed to lose two people. It wasn't supposed to be Natasha or Tony, Tony who was like a father to her. "Please don't go—"

Arms wrapped around her and pulled her away as she watched Pepper take her place, and seconds later the arc reactor in his chest blinked before going black.

"Oh my god." Hazel muttered watching as Pepper broke down next to her husband, kissing his cheek through tears.

She looked up to see Steve, the one who had pulled her away with tears staining his own cheeks. She was balling now, but didn't care. Hazel looked to her right to see Peter, his face was covered in dirt and bruises, dried blood stained his forehead. He was covering his mouth with a hand, he noticed her a few seconds later and grabbed her, pulling her into a hug. He sobbed holding her close, and she wrapped her own arms tightly around him.

"Hazel." He croaked, "Hazel."

She cried harder, holding onto him as if he was the only thing keeping her from falling. They had lost so much from something that was supposed to bring on a happy ending.

"He's gone." Steve's voice sounded from nearby, causing Peter sob. The boys shoulders shook as he held her, and soon hers shook as well.

Eventually he pulled away, and they stared at each other's tear stained faces. "We won." He sniffled. But Hazel shook her head, looking back at Tony's lifeless body. No longer filled with knowledge and witty jokes, but an empty shell of the man he once was. He sacrificed his life for this ending, and he did it along side Natasha. Hazel took a shaky breath, more tears falling from her eyes. "Did we really?"