Five

Chapter Five:

Morgan had wanted Hazel to come with her to her room, apparently she had gotten new toys that she needed show Hazel. She agreed, but kept glancing back at the group of adults who were going to discuss the only lead they've had in months.

"Look it!"

Hazel looked up to see not a toy, but a poster of golden retrievers.

"Wow." She mumbled.

"No, not that one." Morgan giggled pointing to the one beside it, one that Hazel just assumed was scribbles but it turned out they were math equations. "This one."

"Oh. Woah. Wow— you like math?"

"Only because Daddy teaches me."

Raised voices floated from the girl's open window, and Hazel frowned staring. She looked down at Morgan, "I'm so sorry to have to go super early, but it's important."

"How important?"

"Super duper important."

The little girl looked up at her, "Important 3000?"

Hazel laughed, knowing what that number meant to her. "Yes. That important."

Morgan shrugged jumping into her bed, "Will you come back next weekend?"

The older girl said nothing as she walked out of the room and rushed down the stairs, following the chorus of voices coming from the porch.

"And you're telling me that you won't even—"

"That's right, Scott. I won't. Leave it." She recognized Tony's voice as she slipped out onto the porch, finding herself next to Steve. "I got a kid."

As of on cue, Morgan came bouncing out and jumped up onto his lap. She must've followed Hazel down, but the little girl whispered in his ear. "Mommy told me to come and save you."

"Good job. I'm saved."

Hazel frowned, "So you aren't going to help?"

"I wish you came here and asked me anything else." Tony met the eyes of the man named Scott, "Honesty. Anything else." He stood up and took two steps towards the interior of his house, "Table's set for 6–"

"Tony." Steve walked up to him, "I'm happy for you, I really am. But this is a second chance."

"I got my second chance right here, Cap." He shook his head, "I can't roll the dice again. I can't."

Tony went to go inside again but still time Hazel opened her mouth, "What about everyone else's second chance?"

He stopped, but said nothing.

"Don't you think they deserve one too?"

"Hazel." Tony turned, "You don't understand—"

"I want my box back."

His brows scrunched together but he did reach in his back pocket and revealed the box, the sticky note still stuck on it.

"Do you recognize the handwriting?"

He looked down at it, and eventually frowned. She walked over and took from his hand, staring up at him. "You don't think he deserves a second chance?"

The man said nothing as Hazel turned and walked past everyone else towards the car. The box was gripped tightly in her hand as she threw herself into the back seat, slamming the door. The lead had to be good, it had be worth thinking about if they had all decided to come to Tony for help.

She stared at the box, slowly unravelled in white bow. She carefully took the lid off and a folded piece of lined paper popped out at her. Hazel unfolded it and took a deep breath staring at the familiar handwriting.

for you to embrace the two letter difference

She let out a soft laugh as she saw a necklace, Barnes was written in silver with her birthstone taking up a small circle on the B. She turned to the note over and more writing caught her eyes.

did that sound to cheesy? I don't know but maybe you'll find it funny. Or cute. We'll see, I can't wait to see your face when you open this.

Peter Parker

Hazel frowned, and the car doors opened and everyone else got in. Natasha scouted in beside her, eyes landing on the items in her hands. The women's hand reached over and plucked the paper from her hand, reading it over before peeking at the necklace.

"Steve." Natasha mumbled showing him the paper, he took it and read it himself.

"He sounds like a nice kid." Steve replied handing it back to Natasha who gently folded it back up and gave it back.

"Do you want it on?"

Hazel nodded handing the women the box, she carefully took it out and undid the clasp. Hazel moved so she sat awkwardly against her as she put it on. Natasha tapped her shoulder when she was done and Hazel moved back to a proper sitting position.

The car pulled around and they were making their way down Tony's long drive way. When they finally made it onto the main road, Hazel watched the quiet buildings go by.

"So what's this plan?" She asked, "And who's the guy?"

"The guy is Scott." The man said, "And the plan is what I'm calling the Time Heist."

Hazel looked over at him, "The Time Heist?"

"Time Travel." Steve cut in.

"Is that something that we can do?"

"I think so." Scott said, "But we need someone smart to help us work around the kinks."

"What about Bruce?" Hazel asked.

"That's a good idea." Natasha nodded, "I'll text him. I'm sure we can meet up with him later on."

"Have you seen him in awhile?" Hazel questioned, "I've tried calling and all that to see how he was doing but he never picks up anymore."

"I'm sure he's fine. Just busy." Steve chimed in.

Natasha's phone buzzed widely, she looked down at the device and a content smile formed on her face.

"He's at the café on third."

Steve sighed, "Well, I guess that's where we're headed, then."