Three

Chapter Three: Five Years Later

It was awfully quiet in the Headquarters. It usually was, now that the team had set aside their plans at bringing the population back.

It was Saturday, and the sky shone a bright blue with the sun beating down on the city. It was still empty, or, at least it felt empty. Hazel didn't like walking down the streets, feeling the echo of places that used to be crowded. The city that never slept seemed to have trouble waking up.

Hazel slipped off her bed, catching a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She had let her hair grow out, and it now reached just below her elbows. She had kept dying it a dark brown, liking the way it made her look younger. She wore a black t-shirt over her training gear, there was no point in changing when she'd be on her way to Tony Stark's cottage for the rest of the day. She'd always come just to spend time with him but he'd end up convincing her to help train. He had built a ridiculous amount of things to help with her powers but she always would turn them down.

Hazel exited her room, wandering down the long hallway but stopped as she heard voices coming from below. She walked over to the railing and held on as she tried to look underneath the landing. Natasha could be seen sitting on an office chair, a cut sandwich in front of her. The women leaned back and placed her hands over her mouth, a sob echoed and Hazel stepped backwards.

She quietly made her way down the stairs and took an alternate exit, and within seconds she was out of the Headquarters unnoticed. A group of kids wandered past her, all stopping and staring at the drive way that lead up to the building she'd just left.

Hazel crossed the street, spotting a city bus speeding up the street. She raced towards the stop, just making it in time for it to pull over. She got on, frowning when she realized she had no money nor a pass.

"I don't—"

The women glared down at her through her sunglasses, "Just get on."

Hazel mumbled a thank you and rushed on, instantly noticing that the bus was empty. She took a seat towards the back and leaned against the window, watching buildings rush by.

"Where are you headed?" The women called from the drivers seat.

"Queens."

The women laughed, "You got on the wrong bus, sweetie."

Hazel frowned, "Oh, I—"

"No problem." The bus driver told her, "I've been driving this same route for 3 hours and nobody has gotten on. I can take you."

"Um... ok." Hazel mumbled and told the women the address, she leaned forward, trying to get a good look at the women's face. "May I ask why?"

"Why? Well, Queens ain't that far and it's been a quiet day. You're also that girl with all the superhero's, are you not?"

Her brows scrunched, "Yes?"

"You sound unsure of yourself."

Hazel pursed her lips, wanting to get off the bus as soon as possible. The driver seemed to catch Hazel's discomfort and said nothing else until the bus pulled over to the side and Hazel got herself out, staring up at a familiar apartment building. The sound of the bus pulled away and she made her way inside, slipping her key from her pocket. It took only minutes for her to reach the correct door, and only took three knocks before it was thrown open and Peter Parker's Aunt May stood on the other side.