twenty one

Jessamine.

The next few days slid by slowly, but easy. Everything has been the same as it was and I'm currently shopping for food with Shirley.

I haven't told Harry about my nightmare, he shouldn't know anyway. I was a bit scared to go back to sleep the very next night but thankfully, I haven't had another nightmare.

"Hey, Doris, you know that John and my son are going to see John's grandfather this weekend right? I heard that he's headed in the same direction as Harry," Shirley said.

I nodded, "Yes, I think Harry has told me."

"I'm glad Harry is going to see his mother. You know what? You two seem less awkward," Shirley giggles.

"How?"

"Well, maybe what I mean is that you two seem much more comfortable around each other than the first day I met you," she shrugs and begins to hum a tune.

"I guess."

I feel a little better knowing that I know something about Harry. But I'm missing something. I close my eyes for a moment and try to remember.

Harry brung the diamond ring out his pocket. I took it and slid it on my finger. "How did you get this ring anyway? Was it specially for Mary?"

Harry shook his head. "It's from my father."

"Why would your father give you a ring?" I asked.

When I didn't get a reply, I looked up and Harry's lips were formed into a thin line as he avoided eye contact and his brows were knitted together. He was really thinking about something.

"Sorry. I shouldn't have asked that."

I remember now. I glare at the ring on my finger.

"Right?" Shirley asks.

"Oh, I'm sorry, what did you say?" I questioned.

"That this is just horrible! Almost three years since the stock markets crashed and this is the worst year yet. One out of every four British men are unemployed," she scoffs.

"Oh, yeah I know," I say and find some fresh vegetables.

I walk further to the checkout and I come to an encounter with someone I didn't expect to see: Mary and William

"Doris! Hi!" Mary smiled.

I strained my smile, "Oh, good afternoon. By the way, congratulations!"

She furrowed her brows, "What?"

"Well, you're pregnant right?" I said.

She laughed, "No! I only said that to crush Harry like he crushed me. I know he still needs me in his life."

No he doesn't, not in the least, "You never know."

I went to go grab some corn since I had forgot it. I walked back in the aisle and a hand touched my lower back, "Hey, babe."

Shocked, I turned around and swatted the hand away. I saw that it was William.

"What are you doing?" I said.

"Just spending my time with a beautiful woman."

"Oh yeah, Mary is something," I muttered.

William rolled his eyes, "I'm speaking of you. While Harry is gone on his weekend trip, maybe I could take care of you."

A grin sprawled across his face.

"Creep," I spat at him. I left the corn and found Shirley, "Lets get the hell out of here."