twelve

I frantically searched around, in hopes that it would maybe magically appear out of thin air. But after five minutes, I started to panic. This can't be happening. This is real but most of it sill feels like a very long dream.

I can't help but to think that this is a dream. It's so unrealistic. I checked under my bed and there it was-stuffed in a corner. I grabbed the remote and turned on the small radio to drown out the talking.

"Hello? Sunny?" I spoke into the remote.

"Jessa! Thank god!" Sunny breathed out.

"What's new?" I question nervously.

She paused before speaking. "I don't know. We're trying out best but you know, we can't seem to do it!"

"Are you saying I'm trapped?!" I exclaimed out.

"No! No not at all! We're just saying that we're giving it our all!" Sunny says quickly.

"What if I never leave?" I asked.

"Don't fret about it, okay? Geez, have a little faith sometimes," Sunny said and I could picture her rolling her eyes.

"It's hard! I'm confused about everything, Sunny."

"Of course, it's 1932. Can't you ask Harry to show you stuff?"

"Yes, but its only been a couple of weeks! I can't learn everything!"

Sunny sighed, "Okay Jessa. We'll see what we can do. I hope you know that Casey and I are grounded, and once you return, you will be too."

I snickered, "Correction: if I return."

"Very funny, Jessa," Sunny said and she disconnected.

I turned the radio off and sighed, looking out at the gloomy day. When will Sunny get this all figured out? This doesn't work out for me at all. A knock comes at my door before I hear it creak open.

I don't bother to turn around but I hear small footsteps nearing me. I turn my head and see Lucy. She climbs in my bed with me and lies her head on my shoulder.

"Jessa?"

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Could you tell me some things about your year? Do humans live underwater? Or how about living in outer space?" Lucy asks me.

"Well, neither of those has happened yet. We still live the same," I replied.

"What about the Empire State? I've always wanted to go there."

"No, the Empire State is still there. But there will be two building built--called the Twin Towers. It's part of the World Trade Center. And on September 11, 2001 some terrorists will hijack an airplane and blow it up."

"So airplanes will have missiles?!" Lucy squealed.

"Only war ones I think. What I mean is that the hijacker intentionally crashed the plane into the building and it blew up. Everyone on it died," I said.

"Oh. But that's stupid! He killed himself!" She exclaimed.

I chuckled, "It shows how much he hated us."

"What do you mean 'us'?" Lucy questioned.

"America. Or Americans. So they decided to destroy things that means a lot to us," I told.

"Did everyone die?"

"Everyone in the two planes? Yes. But some people who were in the building managed to escape or whatever. And pedestrians who were close to the buildings probably died."