nineteen

Hastily, I slammed my green suitcase shut. I huffed and grabbed it off of my bed. I made my way down the staircase and into the dinning room where all the girls were chatting and eating breakfast. They were all aware that I was leaving.

I set my suitcase down and told all the girls my goodbyes. Lucy walked up to me, "Are you ever coming back?"

"Uh, no I won't work here again," I say to her.

She pauses, "But you can visit us. We're allowed to have visitors. You'll visit us, won't you?"

"Of course," I pull her into a hug.

"Okay, I'll miss you a lot," she lets go and I could see the tears stinging at her blue eyes.

I take a deep breath and grab my suitcase again and this time, I leave out of the orphanage. I check a newspaper and recognize that it's Friday. I guess Friday is just a bad luck day for me.

I find myself taking the long walk to Harry's house, I'm not sure why. After what happened last night, I'm almost certain he doesn't want to see or talk to me tomorrow.

When I reach his house, someone is on his porch and I can already see that it's James. I internally groan and approach him, "Good day."

"Oh, hello. You're just the person I came to see," James said.

At ten thirty in the morning? "Yes of course."

"What's been going on?" He asks and invites himself into the house, carrying a block of ice.

"Well, I got fired yesterday, um.. yeah I'm going broke," I groan and plop on the sofa.

"Hey there," James takes a seat next to me, "It's all right. You don't have to worry about anything since Harry takes care of you. Plus, when he passes, you'll get everything he owns."

I take my head out of my hands and turns to him, "What? What's that supposed to mean? 'Harry takes care of you'? I'm very independent!"

"Are you sure because-"

"Yes, I'm sure! I don't need a damn man!"

"Then how come every time something bad happens, you rush to his house? Don't have anywhere else to go?"

"Asshole," I said through my teeth.

James just shrugs and sends me a very smug like facial expression.

Later that day, after James had left, I was talking to Sunny through this remote.

"So you got fired? You couldn't keep a job in 2014, and you can't keep a job in 1932," she giggled.

"Frick off, it wasn't my fault. Joan was a b-"

"Language!" She scolded. "Anyway, you can't keep living with Harry. Find a job soon because then he'll make you pay rent and then you'll run out of money and be broke and homeless."

"I'm already homeless," I muttered.

"Well broke and homeless is worse," Sunny tells and I knew she was rolling her eyes.

"Circles, we're going in circles. No maybe just to a dead end. I have to avoid being broke, I have to avoid interfering with public, and I have to find a way home," I sigh.

"Just look at how much you've changed already. Like wow, the World Trade Center is here! I wonder how much you've changed Harry's life already," Sunny says.

"I may have saved him from heartbreak in a better way. His heart was gonna break anyway."

"What about this Nicola girl?" Sunny asks.