Come Out and Play

Zacznij od początku

Much as they often grew distracted by the fact their teacher was married to Paul McCartney, Charli had grown to like Julie and Christine.

"Can you tell us who's in the Christmas show?" Christine asked.

"Fuck me," Charli sighed "We just finished auditions, I need a good bottle of wine before I can even think of casting the bloody thing"

Both Julie and Christine giggled.

"Are you nervous about Christmas land's launch?" Lara asked as she joined the group stretching.

"Terrified," Charli laughed loudly. "I want everything to be perfect and I'll probably lose it when it's launched"

Most of the summer had been eaten by interviews for her autobiography and the decision to go ahead with the Christmas Land charity and home. Paul had helped in resourcing various donations from anywhere he could charm.

The launch of the home would be marked by a grand show and the circus school was buzzing over the news.

*

"Bloody hell," Charli sighed as she took a sip of her wine "Why is this so hard?"

"Because it means a lot to you," Paul answered simply.

"You are too obvious sometimes love," Charli laughed as she stared at the various audition papers strewn about the floor.

Paul laughed softly as he tipped his head back on the couch blowing the smoke from his cigarette. He smiled watching his wife sitting on the floor studying audition notes for what seemed to be the hundredth time. Given both their hectic schedules, he appreciated the quiet moments.

"I really want ta' cast Evie in the lead..." Charli sighed interrupting Paul from his thoughts. "I'm just worried about her confidence.."

"Maybe being in the lead could boost her confidence" Paul suggested.

"Maybe," Charli scoffed. She sighed again running a hand through her hair "I just worry that it'll look like I'm casting her because of her mum..."

"Is she the one you suspect her mum.." Paul began.

"I don't suspect anything," Charli interrupted "I know her mum hurts her"

Paul was silent.

"She reminds me of meself at that age," Charli admitted, "I can see it, I've seen the bruises and how she carries herself..."

"Is that why you want her in the lead?" Paul asked.

"Yes.." Charli said softly "I mean...not entirely...but..."

"Maybe you could work with her one on one, help her build confidence" Paul suggested.

Charli smiled a small half smile as she stood up.

"That's not a bad idea," she said joining Paul on the couch "I'm going to sleep on it, I'm just stressed...I don't necessarily have to have anything cast until after the showcase, but we have to jump right into rehearsals for Christmas Land the weekend after the showcase is over"

Paul's arm went around her without any thought.

"You'll suss it out luv," Paul smiled.

"You're probably right," Charli sighed "How was the album shoot?"

"Fine," Paul said "Too bloody hot and all we were doing was walking across the street a few times"

"It's been unbearably hot lately!" Charli laughed "Wait, you mean to tell me, I've been stressing over fucking auditions and overbearing parents and you lot were just strolling across the street all afternoon?"