Cora

Stiles managed to get through homeroom without falling asleep, It helped that Paige kept reaching over and poking him in the side.

"What class do you guys have next?" Cora asked as she grabbed her books from her desk.

"English," Stiles answered through a yawn. He was thankful it was an easy class considering it was so early. Last year he'd had math first period and nearly died.

"Stiles, Paige, I want you guys to meet Allison," Scott said walking over with a pretty brunette at his side.

"Allison, these are the twins I was telling you about and this is Cora Hale, her family just moved back from New York," Scott introduced with a lopsided grin.

"Hey, nice to meet you," Allison gave a shy smile.

"It's so nice to meet you," Paige gave a sweet smile in return. Paige was always so kind until you got to know her. She was smart and talented and sassy.

"Oh looks like you have English with us next," Paige slipped her arm through Allison's.

Scott seemed to deflate with relief. If Paige didn't like someone you were doomed. Stiles on the other hand didn't like anyone, so getting his approval was just as special.

"You were right, she is pretty," Stiles leaned over towards his best friend as they walked out of the room. "Be careful or Paige might sweep her up."

Scott laughed.

Stiles raised his brows as if to say I'm not kidding.

"You don't think she'd..." Scott looked forward where Paige was complimenting Allison's skirt.

"Hey, guys, wait up," Scott hurried ahead to catch up with the other two, leaving Stiles laughing behind.

Cora took that opportunity to walk with Stiles.

"So it doesn't seem like I've missed much while being gone."

"Not really, everyone is still the same. Oh, but Lydia and Paige are friends now. It's still strained what with the fight for valedictorian, but..." Stiles gave a 'what can you do' shrug.

"Really?" Cora asked in surprise. She remembered Lydia and Paige practically hating each other.

"Jackson broke Lydia's heart and Paige found her crying in the band room one day after school. Paige found Jackson and punched him in the face. After that they started talking. Like I said there's still a rivalry but it's much more friendly," Stiles laughed. He remembered the day it happened. Paige had come home late and started ranting about Jackson, while icing her hand. Then she went on to talk about how she felt bad for Lydia. That had been a shock to Stiles.

-

Derek was on his way to his locker when he saw his sister walking with Stiles. The two were a few steps behind Scott and Paige. A frown embedded itself into his features as he noticed the way Stiles was smiling at Cora. Of course Stiles would be into his sister, why not? Desperate for a reason to talk to Stiles he yelled Cora's name,causing the pair to stop.

Derek hurried to catch up to them, his eyes on Stiles the entire time.

"What's up?" Cora asked when Derek didn't say anything.

"Umm," Derek struggled to think of something to say. Anything. Suddenly he noticed the basketball flyer just behind Stiles.

"Basketball," He blurted.

"What?"

"I'm trying out for basketball," Derek could kick himself. He hadn't played basketball in years.

"Okay," Cora looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"You can take the Camaro after School," Derek continued. Finally, a reason that made sense.

"How are you gonna get home?" Cora crossed her arms.

"Paige can take him home. She has band this afternoon," Stiles offered then, waving a hand behind him as if his sister where standing there. "Maybe you can take me home. Ya know, so I don't have to stick around here?" He gave Cora a hopeful smile. He hated staying at school so Paige could practice.

Derek's excitement immediately diminished when he realized this was probably just a way to spend more time with Cora.

"Perfect," Cora held her hand out towards her brother.

"You sure she won't mind?" Derek asked, looking directly at Stiles.

Stiles was suddenly hyper aware that Derek was talking to him. "Are you kidding? She'd trade me for you any day of the week," He frowned realizing how that sounded. "I just mean cause you're...," he gestured to Derek who raised a brow in confusion. "She won't mind," He huffed before turning to Cora.

"I should get to my locker, see you in English?" Stiles needed to get out of there before be made a bigger fool of himself.

Derek's eyes fell to the way Stiles' hand touched his sister's arm. He normally would have shot daggers at any guy who even looked at his sister suggestively, but he was too disappointed. It made sense for Stiles to like Cora. They were both the same age, sarcastic, had been friends before they moved, had similar interests. Derek knew he couldn't compete with that.

He watched as Stiles walked away before fishing the keys from his pocket and placing them in his sister's outstretched hand.

"Have fun at basketball," She chirped sarcastically before turning on heel.

Derek let out a huff. Now all because he was desperate to talk to a guy that couldn't care less he existed, he was trying out for basketball practice.

Stiles rolled his eyes at himself as he headed for his locker. Could he have made a bigger fool of himself? That was a stupid question, of course he could have. He wanted to ram his head into the metal lining the hallways, not only did he sound like an idiot but he made it so Paige and Derek would be spending time alone together. Paige already got most of the attention, which Stiles didn't mind, but he wanted Derek's attention for himself. Not that Derek would ever be interested in someone like him, but it was a nice thought. And pushing him into Paige's arms was not part of that plan. Maybe he could tell Cora he had to stay after all, to keep Derek and Paige from being alone together. But that would be obvious. He had no reason to stay behind. He let out a groan as he slammed his locker shut. He'd really done it this time.