Chapter Twenty-Two: Love Talk

Start from the beginning

"I-uh, I kind of got arrested," he stammered out.

"You, what!?" she shouted into her phone, earning her weird looks from the two other men at the range. She glared at them and they quickly went about their business.

"It's not my fault," he objected.

"How is getting arrested not your fault?" she scoffed as she got into the Jeep.

"Your sister called the cops on me. Well, she called your uncle," he corrected himself.

"Shit, Mase, I'm sorry," she apologized, her anger dissolving.

Even though his intentions were honorable, Mason was technically stalking her family. She couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was going to happen to one of her sisters. Maybe it was just paranoia, but with her family's track record of getting into trouble she knew it was better to be safe than sorry.

"I'll come and get you, alright? I promise that nothing will come of this. My family is just doing this to get to me," she told him as she pulled out of the shooting range and headed in the direction of Haven. Luckily it was early afternoon and she should miss any rush hour traffic.

"I'm sorry too, Ary. I never meant to cause you any extra trouble," he grumbled.

"Cause me trouble? Mase, you wouldn't even be involved in this mess if it weren't for me," she snorted in laughter.

"Ugh! Colt is going to kill me!" Mason exclaimed.

"No, he won't. I won't let him," she assured him.

Ary had a protective streak when it came to Mason, and she knew it pissed Rave off. He was jealous that she and Mason got along so well and could talk easily with one another. He had nothing to worry about, though. She wasn't even remotely interested in anyone other than Rave. There wasn't even a brief flutter of interest or desire. She loved Rave. End of story.

"Shit, he's gonna be pissed that I called you and not him," Mason sighed. He'd probably been thinking the same thing that she was.

"It will be fine, Mase. I'll talk to Rave. You just sit tight and try not to antagonize my uncle," she warned him.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled.

After Ary hung up with Mason she immediately dialed Rave's number. They were trying out this new thing where she told Rave what she was doing and he tried not to be a controlling ass about it. It seemed to be working so far. They actually worked pretty well as a couple. It surprised everyone.

He answered on the third ring. "Hey, honey, what's up?"

"My uncle arrested Mase. I'm going to Haven to sort it all out," she sighed into the phone.

"I can handle it. You don't need to go," he told her. She could already hear the anger in his voice.

"I would love for you to handle it. Honestly," she said, and she meant it. She dreamed about passing all of her family issues off onto someone else. "But I don't think you speaking to my uncle would go over well. I'll be okay, Rave," she assured him.

"I don't want you to go by yourself," he objected. "Come to the club and we'll go down together." It came out as more of a plea than an order, and that kept her from getting pissed at him.

"Rave," she sighed out his name. "I can't have you protecting me from my family all the time. Besides, I was basically a giant train wreck after Garrett dropped the bomb on everyone. I'm better now. I can handle them." At least she hoped she could.

"You shouldn't have to handle them alone," he said. "Remember that you're not alone anymore, Ary. You have me."

"I know," she huffed out. When he said things like that it made her feel strong. "I'm sorry I cause so much trouble for you and your friends," she sighed.