Chapter Fourteen: Caught In the Act

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*******************************

After a long, never-ending fight with both her uncle and mother, Ary was permitted to question one of the men that had very nearly shot up Main Street. It only took Detective Wilcox twenty minutes to convince her uncle that he was an actual officer with the Chicago PD and that Ary was indeed working with them as a consultant.

She knew she'd have a lot to explain later, but she tried not to worry about that. She had to focus on the task at hand. Explaining her actions to her family had never been a top priority to her. Protecting her family, even from themselves, is what she's good at. There was no point in changing her M.O. now.

"What were you talking about earlier? About my cousin?" Ary asked the man she now knew as Kyle Barton.

She stayed standing, her back to the two-way mirror. The single interrogating room at the River County Sheriff's Office was somewhat of an antiquity. She knew from watching her uncle interview prisoners, mostly rowdy drunks and the occasional delinquent teenager, that the surveillance camera's audio was shotty. It always came out as a garbled mess. Most of the viewing capabilities came from the deputies watching from behind the mirror. She didn't want them to listen in too closely. They didn't need to know about her involvement with the Bloodbaths.

"Aren't you gonna ask me how I'm doing?" Kyle asked her. He motioned to his leg, that was now wrapped in gauze.

"You're alive, aren't you?" Ary gave him a flat look. He got shot in the leg. It wasn't that big of a deal.

"You're a real piece of work, ya know that?" he growled, glaring at her.

"Just tell me what I want to know," Ary snapped. She was already getting a headache from this.

"I ain't giving you nothing until you give me something first," Kyle said, leaning back in his chair.

"I can't get you off on the charges. You're the worst criminal River County has ever seen, and trust me when I say that that is not an exaggeration," Ary told him, rolling her eyes. She could just see this guy trying to convince her to let him off when she had been the one he was aiming a gun at.

"I got warrants out for drug distribution and armed robbery. I was going to prison long before this," Kyle laughed at her.

"Then what could you possibly want?" Ary asked him, annoyed. She didn't like playing games. She should have been asking him questions while she still held a gun to his head.

"I want you to get your boyfriend to go get my mom and little sister and get them outta Chicago before that little fucker, Christian, has them killed," Kyle said, and he was dead serious.

"Why him and not the police?" Ary asked.

This guy was loyal to Christian. Why else would he attack her? But then again, nothing about what had happened earlier made sense to Ary. Now he wanted help from her boyfriend and was completely shitting all over his boss. Ary was by no means an expert on the inner workings of gang life, but she was pretty darn sure that things weren't supposed to go down like this.

"The cops won't do shit. They'd just stash 'em in a stupid safe house a few blocks outside our old neighborhood. Colt would move them out of state. It's what he's been doing for all the other guys and their families," Kyle scoffed.

"What other guys?" Ary pretty much lost interest on the case at hand and was now focused on what Kyle had said about Rave.  She had no idea what he was talking about.

"He ain't told you? Colt has been helping the guys that want outta the gang and outta Chicago, get away from Christian's loyal bitches," Kyle snickered, enjoying the complete confusion on Ary's face.