Chapter Four: The Meeting

Warning: Strong Language and Sexual References!

*********************************

Chapter Four: The Meeting

Ary tried calling Rave when she stopped for gas on the way to Chicago. She wanted to warn him about Maddie, not for his own sake, but because she wanted him to get himself cleaned up so he didn't look like a homeless alcoholic, like he usually did in the mornings.

"How long have you two been together? Was he the reason you went out to Colorado last year?" Maddie grilled her.

"We've only been together a few months," Ary sighed. She was tempted to just jump out of the vehicle and save herself from being tormented for two whole hours.

"Do you love him?" Maddie asked.

"What!" Ary sputtered, her face immediately turning a bright shade of red.

"It's a simple question," she shrugged, not even caring that she had embarrassed her little sister.

"You know damn well that it isn't a simple question!" Ary snapped at her older sister. "You still love Beau," she pointed out.

"That's completely different!" Maddie protested.

"Oh really? How?" Ary inquired.

"Beau and I are at different points in our lives. He's ready to get married and I'm not," she stated. Ary could tell that Maddie only half believed in her own words.

"Exactly. Love is just a delusional state of mind. It doesn't solve anything," Ary said, trying to change the subject away from Beau. She didn't need Maddie to start bawling.

"Is that you or the guy talking?" Maddie asked, narrowing her eyes at her younger sister.

"Really, Mads?" Ary scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Leaving 'the guy' out of it, have you ever known me to be an overly emotional person?"

"Still, I'd think you'd be a little more giddy about your first real boyfriend," Maddie grumbled, slouching down in her seat.

"Giddy? Clearly you don't know me at all," Ary said and it wasn't in a joking manner.

Her relationship with Rave wasn't based on just feelings. He understood her. Even if he was starting to get a little too overprotective, he knew that she could take care of herself. He accepted her for the way she was, numerous flaws and all. That's all anyone really wanted; to be accepted for who they are.

Hell, even Luke had seen what she was capable of and he still treated her like some naive little school girl. She'd spent most of her childhood staying back in the shadows, letting everyone think what they wanted about her, but times had changed. She was ready to let her family see the real her.

They drove the rest of the way in silence. This wasn't exactly the best way to start off a meet-and-greet with the boyfriend, but it couldn't be helped. It was difficult for any two Harper women to be alone together for more than an hour without starting a fight. It was a family curse.

"So, your boyfriend lives above a club?" Maddie broke the silence wants they pulled into the parking lot at the club. She was already being judgemental.

"He owns it," Ary clarified. She conveniently left out the part about the fact that it was her money that financed the whole thing. That was a conversation for a different day.

"Hmm," was all Maddie said.

Ary let out a heavy sigh as she got out of the Jeep. She tried to ignore Maddie's intense stare as she unlocked the back door to the warehouse. She had a feeling that this wasn't going to go well.