28. you wouldn't do that

Start from the beginning

Crystal finally walks out of the bathroom and I stand up and look at her, my eyes searching any kind of response. "Negative," she finally says. "They're all negative."

"Oh." I let out a breath of relief, my shoulders relax and I suddenly feel a thousand pounds lighter. And then I'm hugging Crystal. "Thank you," I say pulling away.

"Hey, I just read it. You did the peeing."

I laugh. It's a laugh of relief and happiness. I'm not pregnant. Yes. Thank you, Jesus. "Oh my God. I was so scared that I was," I say with a sigh.

"I bet you were," Crystal says.

"Are you judging me?"

"Not at all," she says with a smile. "We've all been there."

"I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if-" I shake my head. "Oh, thank God."

"You should probably tell Josh. He's probably shitting bricks right now."

I laugh. "Right. Yes. You're right." I look at her. "Crystal-"

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." She assures me.

I half smile at her. "I hadn't gotten the chance to thank you for what you did last time at Clint's party."

She smiles. "There's no need to thank me. I-" she looks at me. "I can't pretend to know what's going on between you and Josh but I know he's a good person and so are you. Plus, I felt that I owed it to Josh." Her cheeks turn a bit red and it guessing she's thinking about the time she hit on him. It seems like so long ago. So many things have happened since then.

"Well, thank you anyhow," I say.

"You're welcome." She smiles. "That girl Cassie seems to be really into him. She's your roommate right?"

I nod. "You know the story?"

"She was telling me and Brad about it before you got here." she almost rolls her eyes and I feel like I have a connection with her. She gets me. That's exactly how I feel. "She seems determined."

"I know," I say quietly.

"I don't really know what's going on with you two but he really cares about you, Natalie. He's told me so."

"I care about him too."

She smiles. "I'm sure you do. I hope you guys figure this out."

"Me too. Thank you again."

"Anytime."

We smile at each other before walking out of the room. We go outside where everyone is. There are a lot of people out in the beach today. Everyone's waiting for the fireworks. I allow myself to enjoy the music and even get some food. I look for Josh but see him sitting next to Cassie so I go get something to drink.

I'm reaching for a soda when I feel him next to me. I look around us but it's just us two. Everyone else is around the campfire a few feet away. I look up at him. "It was negative," I say quietly.

He takes a deep breath. "Wow, okay."

"Sorry I scared you. I wasn't going to tell you until after I took the test."

"How are you feeling?" He asks studying me with his brown eyes. It's dark outside except for the campfire.

"Relieved." I sigh. "I mean, imagine a baby right now?"

"Yeah, it's not the best circumstances." He agrees.

"At all."

He hesitates. "Natalie I-"