Gonta Gokuhara

Suggested by ArticFoxReads

NOTES FOR THIS CHAPTER:
-You are the Ultimate Botanist
-This is a Highschool AU

---------------------

~Your POV~

I walked around my large reasearch lab, checking on each one of my flowers, ferns, and other plants individually to make sure they were all growing well. Seeing no problems with any of them, I made my way to the four large windows that lined the walls that let in copious amounts of sunlight for all of the plants I studied and took care of. Before I opened then, I saw a bug on each of the windows in the room with me. They were all ladybugs and only one of them was outside. I wasn't the biggest fan of bugs, but I was against harming them unless they harmed me. Plus, the lovable Gonta Gokuhara studied and loved bugs, and it would break his heart to find any bug smashed or killed.

I went to each window one by one, opening them to let out the warm air that had been accumulating in the room and making sure the bugs either got out or weren't harmed. Arriving at the last window, I slowly opened it and allowed the ladybug to fly inside. It landed on a rose across the room and I noticed it dropped something before it landed. It was a very small paper folded over many times, making it about as small as a nail. I grabbed the paper and unfolded it, seeing there was writing on it.

'I wish the flowers outside looked as pretty as the ones in here'

I smiled at the sweet note, going back to the window to look outside to see if anyone possibly threw the note inside and I only thought it was attached to the bug, but no one was there. Not thinking to much of the situation, I placed the note into my uniform pocket and left my research lab.

By around lunchtime, I had recieved two more notes, both containing lovely compliments on them that didn't fail in making me smile. I was dying to know who wrote the notes since they seemingly came from the bugs that would show up with them. My thoughts kept going back to the entomologist (seeing that notes were delivered by different bugs), but I never had the courage or time to ask him if they were his doing. The end of the day later came around, and I ended up with the three notes and never asking anyone about them.

I stayed in my research lab after the final bell rang, wanting to double check on a couple plants that seemed weaker than the rest. While checking on them, there was a repeated tapping on one of the large windows. I ignored it at first but it soon got annoying, so I turned to see another bug tapping on the window closest to me. It then stopped, as if it saw me looking at it, and landed on the window. I noticed this insect, a manarch butterfly, was somehow delicately holding a small folded note like the other bugs had done throughout the day. I opened the window and the bug flew inside, dropping the note as soon as it entered my room. I grabbed the note of the floor and opened it.

"Cum 2 fontane?"

The note was chicken scratch compared to the other notes, the ones before having very elegant cursive handwriting. I started thinking that this note was from someone completely different, but remembered they had their calling card of delivery by insect. I decided to go to the fountain either way - it wouldn't hurt to check.

Arriving there, (since it was on the other side of campus) I was a little out of breath. I sat on the corner of the fountain and noticed no one was around, except later my eyes spotted Gonta across the way, facing the opposite direction as me. I smiled as he was squatted over a patch of flowers looking very seriously at them. I decided to get up and say hello.

"Hey, Gonta," I greeted from behind him, making him quickly stand and turn to look at me. He grinned after he saw it was only me.

"Greetings, (YN)," he spoke with a close eyes smile and waved.

"What'cha lookin' at?" I then asked, peering around him to look at the plants closer, seeing now they were tulips.

"Ah!" He turned around again to look at them as well. "Gonta noticed pretty flowers and came to look!"

I smiled as well. "They are quite pretty, but one seems a bit wilted."

Gonta gave me a cute confused look. "Wil . . . ted?" he asked back.

"It just means the flower isn't doing too good and needs a bit more mending."

He looked worried. "Flower is sick!?" He quickly looked back at me. "Can you fix flower?"

I leaned over and touched the white buds of the flower. "Yeah. . . ." I heard Gonta sigh in relief. "Seems like he's just a little dry."

I stood back up as Gonta's face changed into one in deep thought. After a second, he happily ran towards the fountain and scooped up a handfull of water, coming back and letting it all rain down on the white tulip.

"Like that!?" he asked happily.

I smiled again. "Yeah, just like that!"

He grinned even bigger and ran back to the fountain to repeat the process. I let him do it two more times then stopped him, saying that we don't wanna give the flower too much water.

"(YN) is so smart!" Gonta beamed. "How you know so much about flowers?"

"It's my talent," I told him. "I'm a botanist - I look after all kinds of plants."

"Like how Gonta look after all bugs?"

"Yup!"

"Wow! Gonta and (YN) like nature!"

"You bet!" I started walking back towards the fountain when Gonta stopped me.

"What you doing by fountain?" he asked.

"Oh," I took out the three notes I aquired throughout the day, "someone's been leaving me really nice notes and asked me to come to the fountain, so I did."

Gonta looked closely at the small pieces of paper and then pointed to the one with messy handwriting. "Ah! Gonta wrote that one!"

"You did?"

"Yup! Gonta asked Kokichi to write other two because there was too many words. Kokichi didn't want to write last one, so Gonta tried himself!"

I blushed. "S-So you wrote the notes?"

"No, Kokichi did. Gonta wanted to say in person, but got nervous. Kokichi said he write notes so Gonta stop talking to him."

I put the notes back in my uniform pocket. "W-Well, thank you for the notes, Gonta."

"You welcome! Ah!" Gonta then reached in his pocket as he began speaking again. "Gonta forgot one more note to send with bug friends!" He took out a small piece of paper, only this one being folded in half instead of very small like the others. He handed the paper to me and I unfolded it, reading the words written on it.

"Gonta like (YN)"

It was in the familiar chicken scratch the last one was in, meaning it came straight from Gonta.

I smiled very big, feeling my cheeks heat up again. "Awe, Gonta," I spoke softly, looking up at him. "I-I like you too."

Gonta looked shocked. "Really?"

"Yes, really."

He then grinned extra wide. "Wow! Gonta like (YN) and (YN) like Gonta as well! Gonta is very happy!"

"I'm glad." I placed the note with the others. "Well, I'd better head home, I've been here for quite a while."

"Oh, can Gonta come with?"

"Sure thing!"

Gonta began laughing happily as we both began walking off campus together.