✖ Chapter 23 ✖

Start from the beginning

Now he was the one clearing his throat.

"Anyway," he murmured. "I need you to promise me that you will say nothing."

My brain stopped functioning the moment he shut us in the little room, so I sounded like an idiot when I breathed out, "What?"

He made a pause that he had no business making. Like he wanted to torture me on purpose, see how intoxicated by him he could make me feel. The spark of annoyance at that thought gave me the strength to take a step back, and that brought me flush against the shelves. Not entirely a smart move, considering it just trapped me even more.

Sawyer tucked his tongue against his cheek but eventually said, "About my dad."

My eyes widened. I was truly at a loss for a hot second there. Was he asking me to cover up the abuse his dad doled out to him? What good would that do but continue the cycle?

My brow scrunched up as I looked up at him. "I can't do that, Sawyer."

Something flashed in his eyes. I thought it was anger, but I could see his big frame growing smaller and farther from me, even though he also had nowhere else to go.

"This isn't for you to tell. If I wanted anyone to know, don't you think I'd have told?" he whispered. His fingers played with a strand of my hair I hadn't realized he'd been holding.

"Isn't it better to tell someone?" I asked, watching his fingers play with the tips of my hair.

"I tried it once," he admitted. "Manny's mom called Child Services and I got assigned to foster care for a bit while they investigated my dad."

My eyes went wide as saucers. "What? I never knew. When did..."

Something haunted him then because he shook his head in two jerks to try to get rid of it.

"It doesn't matter. After that I figured it was better to just hold on." He shrugged. "There are only a few months left until I turn 18. When that happens I can officially leave him to rot in that house and live my own life. That's my plan. All I'm asking you is to help me not risk it."

I was struggling with holding back the desire to cry for the second time today. I squeezed my eyes and my jaw tight.

"It's not fair."

"You're telling me," he said, but he didn't sound angry.

I opened my eyes and found his. "Why didn't you tell me any of this before?"

Sawyer tilted his head and a strand of blond hair fell forward. "Would you even have believed me?"

I didn't know.

He had a point.

"Okay," I said at last. "I promise."

He released a big breath and surprised me with a kiss to my forehead and a low, "Thanks."

I was rattled as we left the janitor's storage and headed toward Mr. Davies' office. Still, just before we knocked on his door I grabbed the sleeve of Sawyer's faded jean jacket.

"With one condition," I said. "Whenever you need to escape, call me. Or Toni as well." Since he said nothing for a while, I added, "You know, if Manny's not available sometime. Or your girlfriends."

He smiled at my babbling. "I get it. Thanks."

Mr. Davies must have heard us because he opened the door. Whatever he'd been about to say died as he took one look at Sawyer.

"What the-" he caught himself as he ushered us in. "What happened to you?"

"Motorbike accident," Sawyer said smoothly, like we planned yesterday. He couldn't mask a wince as he sat down. Adam didn't think he had broken ribs, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt.