"Of course," said Jadine. "Now you're not rapping about 'hitting on bitches' and 'grinding up their asses."

Jadine instantly regretted bringing up his rapping.

"Yeah, well you always said I was a useless rapper," sighed Lyric.

"I never said you were useless. I said..."

"That I was misogynistic and emotionally bereft," said Lyric. "Yep, definitely remember hearing those words a few times."

"I came to support you at the battle didn't I?"

Lyric turned away. "A lot of good that did me."

"And you were coming out with some good stuff until you let Psylence psych you out," said Jadine. "Honestly Lyric, it was insightful and funny and had flair."

"There's no need to pump up my ego, Jadine. I'm living in a granny flat messing about with a bunch of girls, but I haven't totally lost my dignity."

"Is that how you see this?" fumed Jadine. "Messing about with a bunch of girls? I thought you believed in us?"

"Look, that came out wrong," said Lyric. "I think you're great, but I'm not exactly living the dream."

"None of us are!" countered Jadine. "Did you know Rhian was ripped off for two grand by her loser ex-boyfriend? Or that Molly's twin sister won't speak to her anymore? Or that Kat's scared to death of her father? Or that I had a call from my mum today - Alesha was supposed to be looking after the boys but she was so monged, Bobby crawled onto the terrace and ended up by the lifts. A neighbour brought him back home."

"Christ, Jay," groaned Lyric. "I'm sorry."

"I'm not telling you so you'll feel sorry for me, Lyric," yelled Jadine. "I'm telling you because we've all got shit going on, but we believe in this band so much we're giving it our all. And I thought that's what you were doing too. But if you just see it as messing about with a bunch of girls, then you should sod off back to Hackney."

With that, Jadine banged her coke down on the coffee table and headed for the door. Lyric scrambled up from the sofa and raced after her.

"Hey, wait a sec," he said as he grabbed her arm.

Jadine rounded on him.

"And you wonder why I believe in Amy?" she cried. "She might be from a privileged background, but this is the first time she's asked her parents for any help and she's doing it because she believes in this band. And so I believe in her."

Jadine headed towards the door but Lyric pulled her back.

"And I believe in you," he said, as he drew her close. They locked eyes for a moment and Jadine was about to respond with some tart reply when Lyric silenced her with a kiss - passionate and deep.

Jadine tried to pull away but found herself giving in. As he pushed her against the wall, she drank in his scent, his insistent touch and the potent pressure of his lips on hers. When he ran his hands through her hair she thought she'd collapse into his arms. When she felt his wet lips on her neck she thought she'd explode.

"Oh Jay," he mumbled. "I've missed you so much."

She'd missed him too and as he guided her back to the sofa, their bodies and lips still entwined, Jadine's mind raced with how this could ever end happily.

If she went with her heart, she'd have to work with a guy she was sleeping with and how could he take her seriously as an artist? But if she went with her head and walked out, Lyric would feel seriously humiliated and wouldn't want to work with her ever again.

As she fell on top of him on the sofa, Lyric pulled her thighs around his waist and she could feel how hard he was for her. He started to unbutton the top of her jeans and Jadine knew what she had to do. As much as it galled her, she pulled away and gasped, "Lyric stop. I can't. Not right now. Not like this."

Lyric looked deep into her eyes. She could see they were heavy with desire and confusion, but she knew he could see deep into her soul.

"Jay," he muttered. "You're killing me here!"

"I'm sorry," fumbled Jadine. "I mean, what about you and Arianne Blixx?"

"Don't make out this is about Arianne," sighed Lyric. "You know she dumped me after I quit rapping."

"It's just..." Jadine was lost for words.

"Oh, man!" groaned Lyric, as he moved her to one side and started to straighten his clothes. "Please don't tell me this is because of the band."

Jadine pursed her lips, but knew she had to be honest.

"It's because of the band."

"See, I told you going to the gym was easier than this shit," Lyric said with a little laugh.

Relieved, Jadine chuckled too.

"I should get back to the house," she said, as she adjusted her clothing.

"Sure I can't tempt you with another coke?" smiled Lyric.

"No," said Jadine emphatically.

As Lyric walked her to the door, he said. "I'm sorry about little Bobby. How's your mum doing?"

"Not great," said Jadine. "But I'm going up to see her at the weekend."

"I'll look in on them when I head back tomorrow," said Lyric.

"You're leaving?" asked Jadine.

"Well, you won't want me around after this."

"Lyric, it's because I want you around that I stopped us tonight."

"Even after what I said?"

"Maybe I over-reacted. I mean, you are working with a bunch of girls," smiled Jadine. "But we're not messing about," she added seriously.

"I know," said Lyric, as he reached out and brushed a couple of curls from her eyes. "I don't know why I said that. I'm actually enjoying working with you all. And Kat's got a killer musical instinct. I've even learnt a few things."

"There you go," smiled Jadine. "It's not a total waste then is it?"

"It's not a waste at all," said Lyric.

As she turned to go, Lyric pulled her back, this time more gently. As he leant in for a kiss, Jadine was about to resist.

"Please," he breathed. "To say goodbye."

Lyric kissed her softly and with such warmth that her knees felt even weaker than they had after their earlier passionate clinch.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said.

Jadine headed back to the house relieved, excited and more than a little bit turned on.