the one where nobody knows, part 3

a life for a life,

they told him.

but their mouths were sewn shut

when the wrong man died.

-unknown

________________________________________________________________________________

AN: sorry this took so long. big stress.

interrogation room #507

"I can't shake the feeling we got the wrong guy," Capaldi said slowly, as the team pushed open the heavy door to meet the girl. "I really don't think it was him."

"He's dead now," Martinez shook his head. "Not much you can do."

"How do you shrug that off like that?" the agent asked incredulously. The older, more seasoned one, sighed. "He confessed, Capaldi. You can't feel bad for people like him."

"Guilty people, especially murderers, don't do selfless acts of kindness," the younger agent argued. "And love? Forget it. People like him don't feel love. If that's who he said he was."

"What would he have to gain from dying, Capaldi?" Landry rolled her eyes, keeping her voice to a hushed whisper. "Really, you have to think with your head."

"I killed an innocent man, Martinez," the agent crossed his arms, shaking his head. "I don't know if I can live knowing that." And without another word, he headed inside.

"You ever been in love?" Martinez elbowed Landry. She shook her head. "No."

"Has he?" he gestured towards the agent inside. She shrugged. "Probably not."

"He'll understand when he has been," the senior agent sighed, drawing his gun from his holster. "Let's go."

____

The girl that sat in front of them was no longer a girl. You could see it in the shaking of her bones, the limpness in her fight, the dullness behind her eyes. Here was a woman, broken in girl-sized pieces. And she'd never be whole again.

"Ms. Rice, you do realize you're free to go if you cooperate with us on your exit interview," the lead investigator said coolly. She stared through him blankly. She hadn't eaten, barely slept, nothing, nothing in the past few days. Since his death trial. 

"Ms. Rice," he said, a little louder.

Still nothing. 

The look she wore was one that showed a lip afraid to tremble, a tsunami crashing against a stone front, neither wanting to cave first. 

"Ms. Rice."

Martinez didn't like to wait.

"MS. RICE!" he slammed his fist down on the table, making the glass cup jump and Landry gasp with it. Kaycee flinched, the dark circles moving up on her face as she closed her eyes, the simple movement seeming to inflict so much pain onto her. "Did you hear me?" he got up in her face. She slowly, painstakingly, shrunk under him and pushed the chair back, standing up and stalking towards him, her heels touching the ground in a ghostly movement, one slick thud on the floor after another. 

Time itself danced on her footsteps.

"You killed him," she said lowly, a girl run out of tears, but full of hatred. 

"How do you feel for your family's killer?" the man shook his head, dumbfounded. "Don't you realize, Ms. Rice, that you've lost everything?"

"It was an accident," she snapped, shoving him back, blinking away the hot feeling inside her eyes. She was burning. "It was all an accident."