the one where nobody knows

her eyes always had a frantic, lost look.

he could never cure her eyes of that.

-c. b.

____________________________________________________________________________

Sean

__

"When was the last time you saw Kaycee Rice?"

He sat in his chair coolly, tapping his hands on the desk to an invisible rhythm. "When I was 21, like I said the first ten times." He raised his eyebrows, as if to say, that'll be all, and tilted his head to reveal an eerie smile, the smile of a boy who'd lost everything.

"And what were you doing with Ms. Rice?"

"I dropped her off at her lake house for the weekend, since her car was getting repairs. I didn't stay, because I had a class to teach. Listen, my alibi checks out, and this happened 3 years ago, I don't know why you keep pushing, I-"

"Mr. Lew," one of the younger assistants jumped in snarkily, "You can still be arrested if she's found post-mortem."

Sean rolled his eyes exasperatedly. His story wasn't changing, because he had nothing left to tell them they hadn't already hard before. "Look," he said angrily, "I don't know why you keep asking me what happened. The whole Rice family died in the crash. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. I don't know why you keep bringing me back here and making me do this again."

"We're sorry, Sean," the lead investigator sighed, putting her coffee mug down. "We just need to know if there's anything else you remembered since our last meeting."

"If you still think I killed her, you're out of your mind," he said tightly. "I loved Kaycee."

"Then tell us," the younger one snapped, slamming his fist on the wood, "Where she is!"

"I have nothing to say to you," Sean got up suddenly, jerking his chair backwards, "And even if I did, I wouldn't."

"How about you sit down and talk about the events of that day," one of the detectives said tightly. "Just so we can review the facts again."

"Anything to clear my name," he sighed, drained from the ordeal. "And anything to stop talking about this. Don't you get that talking about this hurts me?"

They ignored him, one opening her notepad and clicking open her pen. "Whenever you're ready, Mr. Lew."

***********************************

May 1st, 2021

"Sean," Kaycee smiled lazily, stretching her arms out as she rolled over. "Good morrrrrrning."

"Hey, princess," he grinned, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her into his chest. "How'd you sleep?"

"Good," she sighed. "Not nearly enough though."

"Can you ever really sleep too much?" he laughed teasingly, poking her side.

"We got no sleep," she prodded him jokingly. "As far as I recall."

"Oh," he raised his eyebrows. "Do refresh my memory, Ms. Rice."

"I'd love to," she lingered over his chest, holding herself up, grazing his lips with hers, "But I have to go. Brunch with Grandma, I'm meeting everyone at my house, and I have to at least try and make it seem like I slept there last night."

"Oh please," he pulled her down, trapping her and enjoying her squeal, "You haven't slept there in months."

"Not without you," she wiggled her eyebrows. "Ok, I reaaaaally gotta go," she frowned, looking at the clock. "I'm already late, and you know how my mom is."