17. Venaessa in The Wilderness - Part 1

The harsh winds battered Venaessa's face as they walked and the dust from the ground was wafted into the air. The princess saw the man on the left from the corner of her eye. He was watching her very closely as the rest of the savages trailed her on their iraks. Still, she didn't know how they had been found. It must have been midnight, the fire had been stamped out in the cave and there wasn't any sign of human life for miles around. 

Venaessa halted for the third time and put her arms up to her face to block the dust from flying into her eyes. She could hear the distraught whimpers of the dragon behind her. Anyx... From a very young age, Venaessa had always struggled with empathy but seeing Anyx being captured had brought up many emotions she rarely ever felt. They'll pay for what they've done.

Her captors shrieked and talked behind her but she didn't know what they were saying. Maybe I should have let the old man teach me Jadan. 

"Yri na!" screamed the man, on the left, beckoning his irak to move faster. 

The animal pulled the trudging Venaessa further from Anyx. Venaessa stubbornly tried to hold her ground. She felt a push from behind. She spun round in fury, despite the rope burning her wrists as she did so.

"Don't you dare touch me!" she barked, ferociously.

The bearded man laughed and pushed her again, harder. Venaessa clenched her fists. Maybe he doesn't understand me. Final warning.

"I said don't touch me..." she repeated, this time in a calmer manner.

The man on the left grimaced. "M- moff," he said, with great difficulty.

Move? Well, at least he can almost speak my language...

"Yri na!" shouted the bearded man, pushing her again.

Venaessa slipped behind and wrapped her bonds around his throat. She wasn't focussed on the other savages. The man spluttered and choked but this only made her pull the rope tighter until the dreadful noise stopped. She let go and his body fell to the ground. 

"Moff," said the man on the left who must have been the leader and was unphased by what had just happened.

Is he alive? Di-did I?

The other men swiftly picked up the pale, limp body on the ground. Don't they care? Well, I don't either.

"If any of you touch me," she said, defiantly, "the same fate awaits you."

The leader rode a little faster so as to force Venaessa to walk. From the clamour that erupted behind her, the princess knew that they were attempting to move Anyx. In spite of her situation, she couldn't contain her laughter. The dragon seemed to replicate the sound with a hint of agony.

"Wow," she commented, "you are, all of you, incredibly stupid." She held the rope and pulled it a little. The irak squawked but continued to move forward. How can it even see anything? It's so dark. Only one of her captors held a torch and even this coupled with the beaming, full moon was still not enough to navigate the cold and barren wastelands of Jados. Venaessa wasn't even able to make out any faces, only features such as hair.

"Moff," barked the man, "moff!"

"Alright," she answered, snarkily, "I'm going to call you Moff from now on." She looked up at the bright moon. "You know this," she said, determination and madness in her voice, "this won't last, Moff." Nevertheless, Venaessa did as he said.

No one said a word as they walked. The only sounds that could be heard were the wind, Anyx's chains and her footsteps.

"Question," she said.

Someone ahead spat at her in disgust and frustration. I bet he wants me to be quiet, it seems like the counselling is actually working. Words, not actions, Venaessa. Future queen...

"Where are you taking me?" she asked, trying to remain collected, "If you're taking me to the king then I don't mind. I was going there anyway."

Moff turned and nodded keenly.

Is that so?

The princess begrudgingly kept moving. Some part of her wanted to believe that they were, in fact, leading her to the king but she seriously doubted whether she was understood. After nearly an hour of walking in what seemed to be the right direction, the group divagated eastward. The princess didn't think too much of this but was still very wary of the actions of all her captors. 

After another hour, or so, of walking, Venaessa was nearly drained of all her energy. Fatigue was beginning to enslave her, as was guilt. The strong winds continued to batter the group as they travelled and the moon seemed to be dimming rapidly. The light was soonly becoming darkness.

"I'm not a native to Jados but I am-"  started Venaessa, tripping over a stick. Well, that's embarrassing. You've made a fool of yourself, well done!

The men dismounted the iraks. Why have we stopped? Venaessa heard a familiar sound. Moff had unsheathed something.

"What are you doing?" she asked, hesitantly, "Wh..."

Two men grabbed her from behind and forced her onto her knees. Venaessa squirmed and struggled but she couldn't move. Another man held her chin up until she faced the black sky. Moff approached her carefully with a blade in hand. 

"Wait! Stop! Stop it!" she screamed, "One day I'll be a queen and I can give you anything you want. Anything!"

Venaessa's desperation for life was poisonous.  Each word she said carried sincerity and fear but mostly resentment. "Please, I beg you! Stop!" she yelled.

Moff made strange sounds and continued toward her with intent. Venaessa tried to conceal her exposed throat but the men held her head firmly. Moff then placed two fingers on her head and screamed. He wailed and yelled at the moon as if were a person and then pressed his blade to her throat. 

Venaessa screamed in distress as blood was drawn. The men began to scream and chant like they were possessed by malevolent spirits. Venaessa closed her eyes as a tear grazed her cheek.

"A-An-ANYX!" she sputtered and shrieked, hideously, as the blade moved across her neck.