Chapter 3

When I pulled into Kelly’s driveway about fifteen minutes later Alex was already waiting outside on the porch steps with AJ at his side and Kelly was leaning on the door frame watching them with a smile on her face. Before I could even cut off the engine Alex was off the step and running towards the car, but I still got out and made him go back and thank Kelly properly. I walked up the steps getting a hug from AJ before I had a brief word with Kelly. Once we were back in the car with Alex sitting next to me in the front, he couldn’t seem to keep still he was so excited. ‘You ok with this baby?’

‘Yeah mom, I am a little nervous but excited more. Did you know that they would be coming?’ he asked me.

‘I had no clue Alex but this is typical Tig, once he gets an idea in his head that’s it’ I laughed ‘with them both being in New York they both decided to come’ I lied a little.

‘Well I think it’s cool that I get to meet them a week early.’

‘Yeah me too’ I said as we pulled into our driveway got out and made our way up to the front door. As we walked in I went towards the kitchen but stopped at the doorway and waited while Alex put his bag on the hook. He walked up to me and with my hand on his shoulder we both walked in. Tig and Happy both stood up and Alex had no fear as he walked up to Tig first, stuck out his hand and said ‘Hi Tig, I’m Alex’ and looked at him waiting for him to shake his hand. Tig looked amused as he shook his hand and I couldn’t help feeling proud that my ten year old had no clue that he was in the presence of two of the most dangerous men I had ever met, all he knew was that this was his grandfather and father. Alex made his way to Happy but this time when he stuck his hand out he said ‘Hi Happy, I’m Alex Herman Lowman’. Happy shook his hand but he briefly looked at me when Alex had told him his full name. ‘Hi Alex’ Happy said as the three of them sat down and I went to the fridge to get us all a drink, asking Tig if he had ordered the food as door bell went again for the second time tonight but before I was able to put the drinks down to get it Tig was out of his seat and walking towards the door. At my suggestion we all went into the sitting room and after we all had food on our plates Alex started talking. ‘So are you both mechanics like mom?’ he asked looking up from his pizza.

‘We are, in fact I taught your mom everything she knows’ Tig grinned at him.

‘That’s not what uncle Koz says, he says that it was him’ Alex said causing me to laugh as Tig huffed.

‘One thing you need to learn kid is that your uncle Koz is full of shit.’

‘He said that you would say that too, cause you have been in denial all these years’ which caused all three of us to laugh as Alex looked between us.

‘I am gonna kick his ass next time I see him.’ Tig muttered which made Alex snort.

‘So Alex’ Happy said speaking for the first time since we sat down to eat, ‘ya ma tells me that you’re good at fixing bikes too.’

‘Yeah, I like helping out on the weekend, especially when an asshole wrecks his bike cause he doesn’t have a clue how to ride it, last weekend mom had to do just that. She told him too when he came to pick it back up the other day after school’.

‘Yeah that sounds like your mom’ he said as Tig sorted and put more pizza on his plate ‘she always was a smartass.’

‘She told me you used to insult each other all the time too cause you are both too stubborn’ he said bluntly.

‘I got to say kid you come by that honesty from the both of them’ Tig said pointing at me and Happy but never stopped looking at Alex.

We were quiet for a few minutes while we all finished eating but Tig stood up and asked if he could go out the back to smoke. We both got up and I walked with him into the kitchen, where I got him an ashtray and followed him out to the chairs that were on the porch and we both sat down, he pulled out his smokes and offered me one as he lit his own. ‘You doing ok kid?’ he asked me as I lit mine.