The Impossible Astronaut

The doorbell interrupts Peyton's vacant stare at the empty word document on her laptop's screen in her childhood bedroom, spurring her to push herself out of the chair and toward the door with newfound energy.

Every time that doorbell rings, she is filled with hope that this time it's the Doctor calling.

Peyton had come to a close brush with death on the last field trip the two of them took and the Doctor insisted that she take some time for herself and her family on Earth for a bit. She had, of course, argued against him but in a slightly petty retaliation, he dropped her in the south of Wales, leaving her to find her own way home to Leadworth.

That was several months ago.

Peyton opens the door, silently praying that it's him, but instead it's the postman with a few letters in hand. She thanks him as she takes them inside, closing the door behind her. Bills. Rewards card for her dad. Hang on.

The last letter. Dark blue and covered in stamps. One could say Tardis blue. She flips it over to open it. On the other side, a silver '3' is stamped, she doesn't bother with what that means right now. She tears it open, eager to look inside.

24/04/2011

16:30 MDT

37* 0'38"N 110* 14'34"W

She almost drops it in earnest to grab her phone and call the Ponds.

• • •

"This is it, yeah?" Amy asks as the three of them step off the bus and into the desert. "The right place?"

"Err, nowhere? Middle of?" Rory replies sarcastically.

"Howdy!"

They turn around as the bus disappears into the horizon and see a man lounging on the hood of a car, cowboy hat on his head and all. It's him.

"Doctor!" Peyton yells, unable to stop the smile from her face.

"Haha!" He laughs, jumping off the hood of the car. "It's Peyton and the Ponds!"

He runs to meet them and pulls Amy into a hug. "Pond one, Pond two, and not Pond! Hello, come here!"

"So, someone's been a busy boy then, eh?" Amy smiles, fixing the Doctor's bow tie.

"Did you see me?"

"Of course," Peyton rolls her eyes.

"Stalker," he winks.

"Flirt," Amy claps back.

"Husband," Rory reminds her.

"And Rory the Roman!" He pulls Rory into a hug next.

"I'm feeling a bit left out," Peyton folds her arms and pouts teasingly.

"Miss Peyton Saxon!" He throws his arms around her shoulders as she holds onto his waist. "How has my favourite niece been?"

"It's Barrett," she scowls but can't hide her smile.

"Bit of a step down from 'space daughter'," Amy jokes.

"You're not still upset that I left you in Wales, right?" He asks, pulling away from her.

"Bastard," Peyton says as she punches him in the shoulder. He stumbles backward, feigning pain from her half-arsed attempt at hitting him.

They all laugh heartily. The weight of the heavy bag on Peyton's back almost disappears and she clutches her sides in pain.

"Nice hat," Rory comments once they had calmed a little.