Chapter 22

I wake with a jolt, my screams filling the air and tears staining my face. I dreamed of Scott dying, the knife plunging deep into his chest and the color draining from his face as the blood pooled at his feet. I try to erase the memory from my mind, but I don’t think I will ever forget it.

“Oh good, your awake.” Oliver’s voice fills the barn, and I slowly roll over in the pile of hay that I lay in, the scratchy stuff itching at my arms and legs. My eyes automatically glance towards the spot where Scott died, the hay still dyed red.

I swallow the lump in my throat and look at Oliver. Rage fills me when I look at him, how could he do such a thing? How could he take my husband from me? Tears spill over as I watch Oliver; he is so calm and collected as he leans against the wall.

“Don’t be mad at me, Madison.” Oliver looks at me carefully, his green eyes piercing through mine. “This is your fault. I wasn’t going to kill Scott, but you ran away, that was your first mistake. Plus, if you still love him, how could you move on and learn to love me? It just wasn’t going to work, Madison, because of you.”

I stare at Oliver in shock, is he really saying this right now?

“So you can’t be mad at me Madison. Remember you did this. You killed your husband.” Oliver watches me carefully for a minute as the tears spill over onto my cheeks.

“No. That’s not true.” My voice is shaky. I try to sit up, both my legs burning as I do so. “You killed him Oliver.” His eyes flash, anger coursing through them.

“You killed him Madison. I may have plunged the knife into his chest, but I did it because of your actions.” Oliver walks over to me and crouches down.

“You want to know why I use a knife, Madison?” No, not really. I don’t want to know why you do anything that you do.

“I use a knife because it is more personal. Guns are too fast. With a knife, you get to watch your victim struggle to stay alive, and you get to see their last breath. You get to watch their final moments.” His words cut me deep, and I can’t breathe. Scott’s final moments enter my mind whether I want them to or not.

“With a knife, the pain is slower, and I find it much more enjoyable than any other weapon. You can make it quick, or last as long as you like. There is so much power in a knife.” Oliver smiles as he talks.

“Is that what you did with your wife then?” I ask Oliver, and surprise fills in his facial features. “Was there actually a break in, or did you kill her?” His eyes crinkle at the corners as he smiles.

“It was so satisfying, watching the bitch die. I did it nice and slowly too. I watched her bleed out for hours before she took her last breath. It was very stimulating, what can I say.” Bile rises in my throat as he speaks.

“She was your wi-wife!”

“She was a cheating whore who deserved to suffer! She deserved every ounce of pain I gave her!” Oliver is suddenly filled with rage, and his eyes glower into mine. Oliver stands up promptly, and before he walks away, his foot connects with my face, sending me flying back into the hay.

I hear him stomp away as I let out a muffled moan of pain. I taste blood in my mouth

“Get her into my room. We are done in here for now.” Oliver speaks, to who I don’t know, so I lay here waiting for whoever it is to take me back to my prison. I hear someone walking towards me, the hay crunching under the heavy footfalls.

“Come on darling, time to go.” Mac’s voice sounds above me and I feel him nudge my leg with his boot. I push myself off the ground, and try to stabilize myself on my feet. My thigh is burning but I can’t bring myself to look at it. Mac starts walking and as I take a step after him, my legs give out.