Chapter 4

“What are you thinking about Madison?” Oliver asks me, snapping me back to the present.

“Just… um…” Shit, think, think damnitt! “How long have I been here?” I blurt out. I certainly don’t want to tell him that I was thinking about him beating the crap out of me.

“Today will be your sixth day here.” He answers promptly.

Surely they are looking for me by now. Surely, they would have started looking for me Monday, after Scott finished his weekend of work. Which would make today Thursday, and hopefully they have been looking for three days now. I wonder how Scott is doing, but immediately I dismiss the thought. We had fought last time we spoke, and Scott said he needed space. I honestly don’t know if he actually loves me or not... Stop! I cannot think of this now.

The sudden light makes me squint, but brings me back to reality. I didn’t even notice Oliver had walked away to turn the light on.

“I have taken the necessary precautions to make sure no one finds you Madi.” Oliver is striding back to me, speaking slowly as to gage my reaction. Ok, obviously I am not controlling my emotions as well as I thought I was.

“They aren’t going to find you… it’s a lost cause. Don’t get your hopes up for something that’s never going to happen… this is your life now. You’re going to have to get used to it.” His eyes are probing my face, watching my reactions and trying to judge what I’m going to do.

“Scott gave up his search Madison. I have a PI following him, like I had one follow you, and he is moving on. He doesn’t even wear his wedding ring anymore. After six days, the man gives up. What does that really say about his love for you? I’m sorry to have to break it to you Madi, but Scott got tired of you. I won’t hurt you like that though.” Oliver reaches out and strokes my cheek with his thumb, and with his other hand, he grabs one of mine. He slowly lifts it up to his face, and gently kisses each knuckle, lingering just the slightest at each one.

Surely his words can’t be true. Surely, there is something to fight for; I can’t be a lost cause. I know I can’t show him the turmoil that his words bring, but I can’t help it. Oliver is trying to chip my armor, because after last night he knows he needs a different approach on certain things. So he is taking the biggest chisel he can find, and hammering at my walls. I am a strong woman, and I will fight to the death, but he is bringing my walls down, finding my weakest spot and going hard.

I feel my mouth open slightly as I try to suck in air, but my lungs don’t seem to be working. I can feel the tears rising to the surface, threatening to overtake me, and control me. I know that I need to keep them at bay, I know this in my head, but my body isn’t connecting with my head right now. This can’t be true.

“No…no… that’s not true…” My words are barely audible, even to me. I sink slowly to the floor, my legs giving out on me. My heart is fluttering, and is taking an uneven rhythm. I try to breathe, but Oliver’s words wrap around my chest, getting tighter each minute.

“I will show you the pictures if you want… I’ll warn you though; there is some of him with other women…” Oliver has evidence. Evidence that Scott has given up on me, forfeited our marriage, and our love. That can’t be… I thought we would get through our fight, I thought love would conquer all.

The tears are streaming down my face now; the bridge that was holding them back has been ripped down. I can feel the walls falling, slowly tumbling to the ground and there is nothing I can do about it, except watch my world spin out of control.

“I’m going to get some food made, and then I’ll bring it down. When I’m back, I expect you to be wearing that.” Oliver points to a folded pile of clothes beside the double bed. I glance at it and look back at Oliver, but he is already shutting the door, and locking it.