Chapter 38

Light penetrates into my mind, chasing away my lingering nightmares. It filters between the miniscule space between my eyelids and my eyes, beckoning me back to reality. I don’t want reality though. I want to just fade away and go to sleep, never to awake again. Reality is only a nightmare for me, stuck with a psychopath in his crazy world with his twisted family.

I stay completely still, focusing on my breathing staying an even pattern, the steady rise and fall of my chest. Only then do I notice this is not Oliver’s bed. The steady whirr of machines accompanies my chest rising and falling.

The doctors, Adam telling me Oliver’s dead, I am safe…I thought that was a dream?

My eyes pop open quickly and the white room from my dream, or what wasn’t a dream, engulfs my vision. It takes a moment for my eyes to adjust to the brightness of the room, but once they do I see the older woman from the hall asleep on a chair beside my bed.

“Mom…” My voice is hoarse and scratchy, coming out barely a whisper. She stirs in her seat, her eyebrows pulling down in the center. Tears well up in my eyes quickly, my heart starts to beat loudly in my ears, the heart rate monitor to my left picking up pace.

“Madison…” My eyes flit to the door where my father stands, holding a cup of coffee. He looks like he has aged ten years since I saw him, and he has lost a considerable amount of weight. His smoky blue eyes are blood shot and he gapes at me.

“Daddy…” The tears I tried to keep at bay fall in quick succession as whisper to my dad, something I thought I wouldn’t be able to do ever again. His coffee falls to the floor in slow motion, the paper cup bouncing as the dark creamy liquid splatters around his feet.

He falters for a split second before rushing to my side. His hands float over me, about to encase me in a famous Turner hug before realizing he probably shouldn’t. Instead he bends down and kisses my forehead, his tears mingling with my own.

My mind is running in circles, in shock of actually being…free?

Can I believe it? Is this true or some horrible dream that will depress me upon awakening?

“Oh, my precious baby…” My dad sobs into my ear, holding my face to his own. From the corner of my eye I catch my mom stirring awake, and I turn my head towards her.

“M-Madison?” She stares at me wide-eyed as I look at her, her hazel eyes taking in my own.

“Ma.” It hurts to speak, my throat feeling raw and abrasive. My voice catches in my throat, a large lump determined to keep me from speaking. She sits in shock staring at me, her mouth agape and eyes wide. Finally, on shaky knees she stands and leans over me, planting a tender kiss on my cheek.

“Oh Madison.” My mother’s sobs mix with dads and my own. I thought of this day, many times over, being free and being reunited with my family. My heart is swelling with hope and happiness and it feels like it could burst from my chest any minute.

Am I really safe?

Suddenly four words ring out in my head from some distant memory, a soothing voice whispering them in the night. Oliver’s dead. You’re safe.

Is it true?

 My mind races at the thought of him actually being dead. I shiver as I see him in my mind, bloody knife, crazy, dark eyes. Pushing the thought of him out of my mind, I focus on the warm foreheads attached to either side of my head. They stay huddled over me for what only feels like a few seconds before straightening out.

“We should get the doctor.” My mom looks at dad while stating this. I grab her hand quickly, warmth spreading through my cool skin.

“D-don’t leave me.” My voice sounds desperate as I look up to my parents. The thought of them leaving so quickly makes me panic, they just got here. I clutch onto moms hand, afraid if I let go she will disappear.