Chapter 14

The tears spill over without delay. I watch Oliver arrogantly eating his salad without a care in the world.

“How could you?” I ask him, venom in my voice. Oliver looks at me, wiping his mouth before he answers. I turn to look at Mac and Adam as well. Adam is gone, but Mac is leaning against the frame with a smile on his face. Oliver’s voice demands my attention once more.

“How could I? How could they is the real question here!”

“How could they what? They are innocent people and you just killed them all for revenge! You killed that family, that little girl for revenge! What is wrong with you?!” I am standing and shouting at Oliver now. I see him clench his fists as his fork drops beside his plate.

“Madison. Do you not realize that too many people buy too many things trying to impress people they don’t even like?  These damn people are nothing but rich snobs who couldn’t give a shit about the little guy! What about the men out there saving lives, fighting for our country? They don’t get a big fat check do they?” Oliver is shaking barely able to control his rage.

“Oh! I’m sorry, I didn’t realize this was for revenge AND jealousy. I am so sorry I ever doubted you! Please tell me why you didn’t do this sooner!?” My voice is thick with sarcasm and before I finish my sentence, Oliver has flipped the little table our meal was on. Grabbing me by the shoulders, he slams me into the wall, bringing his face an inch within mine.

His terrifying green eyes are piercing into mine and my breathing has quickened looking back into his eyes. His fingers are digging deep into my arms, which I know will result in bruises sooner or later.

“I will not tolerate you speaking to me like that Madison.” Taking one hand off my arm he grabs a fistful of hair and quicker than I can think my head is being slammed into the wall behind me. Little black dots swim in my vision, and when he lets go of me I fall to the ground looking for stability.

I manage to stabilize myself on my hands and knees, but then a swift kick in my ribs sends me to the ground. This man is insane. Completely and totally insane and I hope he dies a slow painful death. I hear footsteps rushing into the living room, and turning my head slightly I can see its Adam. I look up into his face, and his eyes are dark, jaw clenched. That seems to be the uniform expression around here.

Oliver bends down by me, and is talking by my head. I refuse to try and even look into this man’s eyes though. He is twisted beyond belief and I could kill him right now for hurting those people, that little girl… if only I had the strength.

“I was hoping to celebrate with you Madison. You ruined our lunch with your hurtful words and sarcastic tone. What do you have to say for yourself?” Oh this man is asking for it. I have a lot to say about it. Before responding, I turn so I can lean against the wall, clutching my side as I do. I look into Oliver’s eyes and muster up every hateful feeling I have for him, turning my eyes cold I am sure.

“You are a sick son of a bitch; those people did not deserve what you did to them. I hope many things happen to you Oliver, none of them good.” Glaring at him I say the thing I know will hurt him the most. “I hate you Oliver. I hate you with every fiber of my being and I will never, EVER love you, you pathetic excuse of a man.” Oliver’s eyes go wide with shock and he jumps on me.

His fingers tighten around my throat and I feel his knee connect hard with my stomach. Before I know it, the little black dots that I am getting familiar with return, and this time they stay and invade my vision, taking over the rest of the world.

I come to consciousness but keep my eyes closed so I can get a sense of my surroundings before anyone realizes I am awake, if there is anyone in here. It’s a habit I have formed since coming here, either I wake up screaming or I wake up quietly, listening for any signs of, well, anything before opening my eyes to face reality. I am first aware of my injuries, my body sore and tight. My throat feels raw and breathing normally feels like a chore.