For the average person referring to the monster, it's easy to use "it" pronouns, especially to denote that the creature is in fact a creature. It's also to aid in separating it from other male characters on the page, such as Joshua, while also emphasizing some of it's more... otherly qualities. It isn't really rude or offensive to Sundo to be considered an "it" in this form—that is, of course, unless it's specifically intended to be rude or degrading—so he (/it) doesn't really mind.

It can be kind of wonky, and it's not incredibly crucial in the long run, so it may be easier to just stick to referring to Sundo with he/him pronouns in all forms, if you prefer, which is perfectly fine!

Q: I'm curious... What are the sexualities/orientations of the main cast?

A:  Glad you asked! Can you guess from what you know of them?

As I've written them, here are their orientations, though it is of course almost entirely up to reader interpretation which you prefer, if it hasn't otherwise been specified in the text!

Sundo is demisexual and panromantic. Joshua is biromantic, and when it comes to sex, he may lean a little more towards the ace/grey/demi spectrum, simply because he's usually preoccupied with other things he might rather be doing. I might tentatively place him more on the greysexual side of things, but like with most things, sexuality is fluid, and isn't always set in stone! I know there are many things he wouldn't mind doing with Sundo or even Ethan, for instance, so don't feel deterred if you like to picture him otherwise!

The only straight Ethan is is straight-up queer. He identifies as pansexual/romantic: life is an experience and, as he likes to proclaim, he wants to experience it in full!

Both Maggie and Ying fall on the bi spectrum, though neither of them is as interested in labels as Ethan is. Maggie is more likely to crush on dudes, though she will fancy herself a lady just as easily, and Ying goes both ways equally.

Connor has hidden bisexual potential that has yet to be unlocked. ;)

Q: Are any of the other characters LGBT+?

A: Rebecca and Tess both identify as lesbians! If you're curious about the adults, most of them are straight. Mr. Gonzalo, Perkins, Shari...

Well, Lynch is probably bi. I like to imagine Dr. Rosalyn comes home to her wife and three cats when she has the chance, and Bennett, well... pretty sure sex is an enigma to him. Science is the true beauty here. 

I say this, jokingly, but in full honesty, I do envision him as ace (as in asexual), and I do intend to write him this way when the opportunity arises. So far it's been an extraneous detail of his character, plot-wise, but I would like to make this representation apparent in the story eventually, because I care about Bennett and about representing marginalized identities in my fiction. So it'll get there eventually!

And Marlowe? They definitely identify as queer. Sometimes I imagine they have a partner, an engineer at the facility who I think is likely a lady but at this point, I'm not even entirely sure!

Of course, these are all my interpretations of the characters. I'm perfectly content with other interpretations, since I know for some characters it can be very ambiguous! Actually, I'm quite curious, if you'd like to share! I'd love to know your impressions of them!

Q: Why are basically all the characters queer or LGBT+?

A:  Boiled down to a simple answer? Because I'm queer myself, essentially. It's hard to restrain the queer potential of all these lovely characters, haha!