Twenty-Seven

On the boat again, someone sing it with me. What? No? Ok, fine I'll stop. We were finally sailing along the Mississippi. I sat next to Vasquez as we tried playing that weird hand slap game we use to play. It was his turn so when I tried to slap his hands he immediately pulls away. He smirked at me as he held his hands up.

"You gotta be faster than that, mija," he said.

I gave him a fake chuckle before pointing across the lake. "Hey, what's that?" Vasquez was dumb enough to look away so I slapped him in the back of his head. He winced as he rubbed the back of his forehead. "After all these years you still fall for that trick?"

Vasquez gave a little nod before we started to laugh. I felt eyes on me and looked to find 10k staring at me. His let out a breath before he looked away from me. I don't get him. This is the first time he looks at me and he doesn't say anything. He completely ignores me. Does he hate me? Is that it? He hates that I played distraction and he had to kill his friend? Again, what the fuck is his problem?

"Hey, I think I know those dudes," Doc said. We all got up. I squinted my eyes as two guys with a rowboat came near us.

"Oh, my god. Is that..." Addy started.

"Sketchy and Skeezy," Warren.

Vasquez and I exchanged a look. Sketchy and Skeezy? What kind of name are these people making up? What's next Stealthy and Pouty with three more men with them?

Doc patted our tour guide on his shoulder. "Slow down, man."

He nodded. "Slowing down."

I gave Addy a look. "Are we really stopping for a few guys named Sketchy and Skeezy?" She nodded. "We can't slow down."

Murphy nodded. "Yeah. For once I agree with the blondie." I shot him a look.

"Aye aye, ma'am," boat guy said.

Doc shook his head. "Do what I tell you and slow down. Those are my friends."

The guy looked unsure, especially when Vasquez and I took our guns out and pointed it at him. You don't get the names Sketchy and Skeezy for a reason. So, no, we're not stopping. "Is that really necessary?"

Warren pushed both our hands away. "Let's check it out," Warren said.

"Mistake," Vasquez countered. I nodded.

"Never get off the boat," Murphy mumbled.

So we pulled up to Sketchy and Skeezy's little lifeboat. One of them noticed us and smiled. "Doc!" he yelled out. "Well, I'll be damned!"

"Well, if it ain't tweedle dee and tweedle dumbass," Doc greeted, a small snort coming out of me. Actually, like the names for those two.

"Oh, man. Your guys' timing is perfect," the other one said.

Addy motioned to the other guy. "What happened to him?"

"Yeah. He fell in with the wrong crowd." I could see it now. The guy's body was covered in seaweed. The guy looked at 10k. "Hey, kid! You still shooting out the lights?"

10k nodded. "Yeah."

"Great. Help us with this gear, will ya?" I didn't even notice 10k was standing really close to me. The guy noticed and pointed at me while elbowing his friend. "Got yourself a little girlfriend, kid?" He whistled at me. "She's a looker, didn't know you had it in ya. You two -"

Vasquez blocked me from their view and pointed his gun at them. "You really want to finish that sentence? You're not bringing that on board."

"Sir. With all due respect, this is valuable booty worth about four weeks of road time. And," sleazeball motioned to me, "girl's pretty hot."

One Shot 》 Z Nation (Discontinued)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara