Eight

We were on the move. Doc and Murphy have been laughing their asses off because creepy weird guy gave them some Z weed. They're high as a kite right now. I see Cassandra running behind us as the car kept going. She might be a Z and all, but I felt bad that she had to run. I sighed as I adjusted my rifle.

"What's the deal with you and Vasquez?" 10k whispered out of nowhere.

I didn't look at him as I used my telescope to look for any unwanted Zs. "Nothing."

"Something must have happened if he keeps watching you like a hawk." He pointed nodded up ahead and I looked to see Vasquez already looking at me. I glared at him before looking back to 10k.

"Don't worry about it. Like I said, it's nothing." His screams filled my ears as I thought of the last time I've ever seen Vasquez.

"What's your name?" He asked after a moment of awkward silence.

"It's One Shot, I told you already."

He shook his head. "No, your real name."

"Why do you want to know my real name?"

"Because I heard Vasquez call you Ry. Is it short for something like Riley?"

I nodded. "It's the nickname my family gave me." The name Vasquez doesn't deserve to call me anymore. I can't even believe he was part of my family. I trusted him and he leaves me to be a Z's lunch. I looked towards my left and furrowed my brows when I see a body. It wouldn't have bothered me, if it wasn't for the fact that the face is bashed in. "You see that?"

10k nodded. "You've seen anything like that?"

"No."

》》》》

Blasters. Sure, regular zombies weren't enough...let's add a few more zombies that have been affected by the nukes blast. According to Custer, these Zs are faster than the originals. Great.

We heard a growl which made me cock my gun and looked ahead. Custer is right, they're fast.

"Warren, blasters," Vasquez said. The blaster hid behind the hill before I could get a shot.

"Where?" Warren asked. "Where?"

Warren, Vasquez, and I held our guns up as we looked. The blaster disappeared. Good thing we're in the car.

"I'm glad I'm not on foot," Vasquez tried to joke. He looked at me. "How you holding up, Mija?"

I glared at him. "Go suck a Z's dick."

He sighed in disappointment before he looked around the field. No one better give me attitude for being a bitch to him. He deserves it. Warren kept glancing at us before she went back to her post. Great, I'm going to hear it from her.

We drove a little while more. Then Vasquez started to shoot. Warren followed his line of vision and lifted her gun when she saw the blaster. They kept shooting, trying to make the shot. Warren got lucky when the bullet shot the blasters leg. It stumbled for a bit before it started limping. Vasquez and Warren kept firing after one another. The blaster got shot again and tumbled to the ground. I cringed when it started to crab run away. That is bat shit scary.

》》》》

An hour has past since we've been driving. We shot a few Zs here and there, but there weren't any signs of the blasters. I spoke too soon when 10k cocked his gun. He looked through his scope before he opened fire. The blaster went down, but we couldn't tell if it was dead or not.

I don't know if it's the same one or a different one, but it came out of the little hill. 10k tried to shoot again and missed. He aimed a bit higher and actually managed to shoot the blaster through the head.

"3,098," He said.

The girl with the war paint looked at him. "You're one hell of a shot."

I tried to ignore this weird pit in my stomach as he gave a shy smile and blushed. I rolled my eyes as I looked up ahead. I furrowed my brows when these two motorcycle riders came straight at us. I checked my scope and it's the same bandits we killed a few miles back.

Warren and Vasquez started to shoot at them. Warren quickly hid as one of the riders drove by and almost shot her in the head. I switched to my pistol and started to shoot the tire. There was this satisfying pop sound as the tire exploded. The motorcycle flipped over, making the driver roll on the road.

"Nice," 10k complimented.

I grinned at him. I looked back to see the guy's friend turning picking him up. They started driving over here. Vasquez and I raised our guns and opened fire. One bullet made it through the crack of the helmet and lodged in the guy's neck while the other got hit in the chest.

10k quickly grabbed me and pulled me down when a bullet went past us. I peered back up and see another bandit hiding behind a van while she kept firing. The next bullet nearly landed on Warren, who's getting pissed.

She raised her gun. "Now they're starting to piss me off!" Right when the chick wasn't protected, Warren shot her point blank. She ducked again when another shot was fired. I switched to my rifle and peered up to see one of the gunman on top of the hill. "Where are the shooters coming from?!"

I adjusted my aim before I fired. The gunman groaned before he rolled down the hill. "I don't know," I started. "Maybe an underground tunnel or something."

"Just keep firing!" Vasquez yelled. Aye ye, Captain Dumbass.

Another gunman was hiding behind a rock. I let out a low whistle before I fired again. The bullet went flying and it pierced the guy's chest. I spotted one hiding behind the tree. I moved and pointed my rifle in the middle of his forehead. My finger pushed the trigger. The guy grunted before he fell down.

"Take cover!" 10k shouted.

The car Custer was working on came zooming by us with some people on their motorcycle. War Paint tried to shoot the driver of the motorcycle, but he was fast enough to shoot her first. I cocked my gun before I fired at the driver. The bullet went between his eyes before he dropped down. His friend pushed him off and took over. He pointed at 10k. I wrapped my arm around 10k's shoulder and brought him down with me.

"Thanks," he breathed.

I nodded. "Now we're even."

When he was sure that he was cleared, 10k peered over and tried to shoot the friend. The bullet missed and hit the back of the motorcycle. I heard another shot being fired. Suddenly, my shoulder jerked back and I felt this burning sensation. I groaned as I fell back.

"One Shot!" 10k and Warren yelled the same as Vasquez yelled, "Ry!"

"I'm ok," I panted through grit teeth while I held on to my shoulder. Uggh, this hurts like a bitch.

"We need to get that bullet out of her," Warren said. She was about to talk to Custer, but the truck started going fast. I jerked forward before my back hit the door. I grunted as the stinging sensation took over.

10k knelt next to me. He took the bandana that was around his neck and placed it over my wound to stop the bleeding. "You ok?" He asked.

"I've just been shot. What do you think?!" I snapped.

"We need to take that bullet out," Vasquez said as he jumps over to reach me. He dug into his pocket and pulled out his switch blade.

"Are you crazy? She might bleed out," 10k protested.

"Or it might help stop the bleeding before her wound gets infected."

I groaned. "I don't care. Take it out. Take it out!"

Vasquez nodded before he placed the tip of the knife over the hole. He gave me a look to see if I was ready. I grabbed 10k's hand while I gave him a nod.

"I'm sorry, Mija."

Vasquez dug the knife in, making me scream.