Nine

Vasquez kept asking me if I was all right every five minutes. Well, how would you feel if you've been shot and had to use a knife to get the bullet out. And to stop the bleeding and make sure the wound wouldn't get affected, I had to let Warren burn the hole before stitching it up. So my answer would always be no, I'm not fine.

We had to stop for a few minutes so Custer could give a mini funeral for his friends, then snapped at creepy Z weed guy for letting the car get taken. Well, what was he suppose to do when you have bandits and blasters coming at you? Pull over and have a tea party? And if you want another kick in the ass, Murphy's weird zombie controller thing has gone completely haywire. So he's useless.

10k and I were back at our usual spots. My arm still hurts like a bitch, so I had to shoot with the other. He cocked his gun when we heard a few growls behind us. I looked back to see two blasters coming towards the group. He fired his rifle, but missed. I raised my pistol, but the blaster was fast and went towards the human shields.

"Oh hell! Warren, we got trouble!" Doc yelled.

One blaster jumped on top of the hood of the car and growled at Vasquez. The thing jumped off and tackled him, trying to get a bite. Warren took her gun out and tried to shoot, but she couldn't without hitting Vasquez. I moved from my spot next to 10k and ran towards them. I took my rifle out and swung the butt of it across the blaster. It fell back before I raised my gun again and bashed the things head wide open, ignoring the pain in my arm.

I turned back around and helped him up. "This doesn't mean anything," I told him with little to no emotion. I gave Warren a little salute to tell her we're good before she ran towards Custer. I made my way back towards 10k to see him giving me a look. "Don't."

"I didn't say anything," he said.

"Well you were thinking about it."

I heard the truck roar to life and we started moving. Vasquez and Warren took the front again while I looked around for any more blasters. Every time I looked towards them, I see Vasquez already looking at me. I don't want his pity. I don't want his apology. I'd rather become a Z before forgiving him. He practically left me for dead and now he thinks I'm his responsibility. Fuck that.

"So how did you get your name?" 10k asked after a while.

I looked at him. If I'm stuck with these guys then I should at least tell them something about me.

I sighed as I leaned back. "I didn't get my name. I earned it. But if you must know...it was a name given to me by someone who was important. We were close. I only knew him from my father. After the first year of the outbreak, my father was teaching me how to use a gun." I held my rifle up. "This one." I let my hand hover over it. "I wasn't that good, but who was their first time. Each day either he would train me or my father's friend would. Days grew into months and I was shooting everything with one bullet." I took one bullet out and held eye level. "One bullet per Z. That's when my father's friend said that they should call me One Shot."

"I wish I could have met them."

I could tell 10k actually meant it. A small smile came to my face. "You would have loved my dad. He was very easy to get along with. His friend though? A complete pain in the ass. I wish you guys never met him."

10k looked confused. "I never met his friend."

I sighed as I placed my bullet back. "You did." I motioned ahead. "10k meet Vasquez." The next few words were like poison to me. "My godfather."

If 10k had a drink he would be spitting it out by the shocked look on his face. "Godfather?"

"I know. I'm still disappointed that he is, too." The truck suddenly started to slow down. I furrowed my eyebrows as I sat up straighter and looked ahead. I see Custer's car in one peace with the sight of a familiar zombie stripper. "Is that -"

"Cassandra," 10k finished for me. I see the blood dripping down her chin. At least she dealt with those bandits, I'll give her that. When the car stopped 10k jumped down and raced towards her. I felt this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach and chose to ignore it. "Cassandra?" She didn't say anything. "Cassandra? You in there?"

I wanted to smack him across the head. She's a freaking Z. She follows a even more douche baggier Z around like a little bitch. Doc went towards them and cringed. He started to yank something off her back and my eyes widen when it was a hatchet.

"Does it hurt?" 10k asked her. I felt my hand tighten around my pistol.

Cassandra took a deep breath. "I could use more Z weed."

Doc nodded. "Couldn't we all."

Cassandra looked up and I followed her line of vision. Murphy was waiting for her at the back of the truck and walked towards him like the little bitch she is. Ooh, I don't know what it is about her I don't like that much. Maybe it's the Murphy thing? That she's willing to follow him around and obey him.

"Do you think that Cassandra's more dead than alive?" 10k asked Doc.

"Yes!" I responded from my spot. Vasquez, Warren, Doc, and 10k were giving me weird looks. I just roll my eyes and got my pistol out and decided to be look out. Whatever.

I don't know what happened between Cassandra and them, but she must be pretty important to them if they haven't killed her yet. Sure, One Shot, join these people in their ridiculous crusade. Nothing crazy is going to happen. Psch, yeah right. It hasn't even been a month and I've seen zombie strippers. Hillbilly's shooting at everybody. A freaky blue guy with blood that holds the vaccine to cure everybody. The same blue guy that can control Zs jump off a building. You know what? When we reach Edmonton, I'm out. I'm gone. They were doing fine without me.

The sounds of an engine roaring broke me out of my thoughts. I looked ahead to see Murphy, Cassandra, and creepy guy taking Custer's car. Didn't see that coming.